Seeking Wisdom for sick hen

Ladyville

Hatching
Feb 26, 2021
I'd like to put some information out there about my sick hen and see what you all think. This is my first flock (8) and they will all be 3 yrs in May. I have done some "nursing" along the way and reading/researching what I can find. So here is what is going on with one of my Plymouth Rocks:
She presents like a typical sick chicken, squatting and tail down and a bit puffed up but she can walk and stand. Her eyes, nostrils and comb look ok. I did notice that her top beak is slightly longer than the lower and it appears that the tip broke off because it is flat across. Her keel feels really prominent to me and I don't think I feel much breast (granted this is my first attempt at an "exam") making be think she is thin. This surprises me but it is possible that she was not eating well while with the flock. I had been watching her because she seemed a bit off before it really became apparent. Since I removed her a little over a week ago she has been eating, her eating behaviors are a little weird though. She always has her regular feed available to her but she won't always eat it, yet if I bring her something different (lettuce, blueberries, seeds, treat mixture, oatmeal) she acts like she is starving and attacks it. I've tried mixing in some oregano, oyster shell, some of her regular layer feed, none of which she is particular fond of. Given that, I have been able to feel her crop. Again, a first for me, but it seems as you would expect it if they are eating. I checked it in the morning before I gave her any food (pretty sure she never touched the feed she always has available) and it did seem smaller than the day before but I don't think it was empty. She has been pooping regularly, consistency varies but color is normal. She does pee some but I don't see her getting water. The most significant observation that I can make is that her abdominal area seems enlarged to me. I can barely get my stretched hand around it from inner thigh to inner thigh and it feels bloated. It is not firm. I do not know if she has started to lay again since she molted a few months ago. Her vent looks okay. No discharges, blood etc. It is more of a "coin slot" like opening right now than round. And, a little more grey than pink. I gently inserted my finger (glove and vaseline of course!) a short ways to see if I could feel an egg but she became uncomfortable and I can't say I felt anything but it was tighter than I had noticed when I checked another hen not too long ago (she was squat walking but we got past it). This morning I gave her a soak in some warm water and epsom salt and gently massaged her abdomen. She is a skittish girl but she cooed with the massage. I really think it gave her some comfort. Thing is she does not act like she is in pain, she is very alert and even feisty.

Soooo, of course my mind goes to a reproductive system problem, eggs somewhere that didn't go where they were suppose to?? I'm beginning to wonder what kind of prognosis she has. Is there a chance she will improve or is she headed down a long path of being isolated with little chance of returning to the flock? I'm really puzzled about her seeming so normal behaviorally, she wants to go, but she clearly can't. I'm really looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!

You mentioned her abdominal area seems enlarged and bloated.

Does it feel watery? Like an overfilled water balloon?
Or firm and doughy? Neither is good. but different options for treatment and outcome.

If poop is coming out, then if there is an egg stuck it is higher in her system. It couldn't hurt to give her some calcium. Just in case she is backed up. Or laying internally. It might jump start the process but she might have an infection.

Do you have the option to take her to a vet?

You mentioned her abdominal area seems enlarged and bloated.

Does it feel watery? Like an overfilled water balloon?
Or firm and doughy? Neither is good. but different options for treatment and outcome.

If poop is coming out, then if there is an egg stuck it is higher in her system. It couldn't hurt to give her some calcium. Just in case she is backed up. Or laying internally. It might jump start the process but she might have an infection.

Do you have the option to take her to a vet?
Thanks for your reply. More watery than firm. It did seem that the soaking with massaging reduced it a bit and she had several loose poops afterward. Also, she just seemed overall "better". Definitely has an appetite. She won't eat the oyster shell I tried for calcium intake. Trying some plain yogart this morning.

Regarding a vet, even if I could find one, I'm really wrestling with the cost of it all. Hope that doesn't seem too callous.

It's good she pooped. If you have tums crush them into little bits. She may eat them. If you have a human calcium pill open her beak and pop it in. Or if it's a powder mix it with a small bit of something she will eat. I have never done the wattle pull method to get them to open their beak.

It's good she pooped. If you have tums crush them into little bits. She may eat them. If you have a human calcium pill open her beak and pop it in. Or if it's a powder mix it with a small bit of something she will eat. I have never done the wattle pull method to get them to open their beak.
Yes, she has had several significant pee/poop passes since her soak/massage about 24 hrs ago. I'll try the tums. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom