Seems like alot of folks are having bad luck??

I agree that it depends on your situation. I got my chicks last week - I live in the mid-south and the temps were under 45* - not great weather, but my 7 chicks arrived safely and all are healthy. The hatchery sent the shipment overnight express and they included a heating pad and a bit of grow gel in the box with the chicks. I think the overnight delivery made a big difference. Cost a ton to ship them (less than $18 for the chicks and $25 for shipping).

We got the chicks we ordered from ideal today. I was concerned because I had ordered them for mid March but they called Monday to say they shipped them early. Yeah....nice of them to ask first. Well yesterday came and went and no chicks. I was sure they would be dead when they got here. The Post Office called this morning to say they had a very lively box of chicks for me and wanted to make sure I would be home to recieve them. I ordered 10 Dominique Pullets. Well they put 8 extras in the box. Not sure what kind they are but I bet they are Males. Out of the 18 only 1 arrived dead and I don't think it died from the cold. It looked like its neck was broken from the twisted way it was laying there. All in all I am happy with them so far. But I have to wonder if the cold is as big a factor as we think. These chicks spent 2 days in transit in cold weather and are just fine. Perhaps their overall health has more to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom