Seems like alot of folks are having bad luck??

seafood

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
I have been following the forum for a month or so. Placed my order yesterday and will ship in about 3 or 4 weeks.

I must say I am very discouraged by reading about so many people losing their chicks. I mean, I understand that you are going to lose a few here and there but I really am shocked at the stories some are telling. I would have thought these birds would be a bit more hardy than it appears.

I ordered 9 birds, will probably receive 10. I suppose if I come out of it 6 weeks later with 7 living I will be happy. Just seems like it shouldnt be as hard as it seems.

And I need to leave town for 2 weekends during their first 6 weeks. I may not end up with ANY alive!

Are you referring to the chick shipments? If so, baby chicks need warm temperatures to survive. If they are shipped and left in freezing conditions, hardiness has nothing to do with if they will survive or not.

I was just speaking with my USPS driver yesterday on this very topic and he is so upset at the amount of deliveries coming into PA which are boxes of dead chicks. I am disheartened that people don't think and that these birds are being shipped without consideration for their safety and ability to make the trip in the dead of winter here. All the hatcheries and people buying these birds are going to find is that at some point the USPS is going to stop accepting bird shipments because they can't do it responsibly. To most it's just a box of chicks and they can be replaced..to me, they are live animals that deserved a better shot at life. It's all very sad to me.

I hope it is warm where you are and where the chicks are coming from and they arrive safely for you.

Jody

Don't be too discouraged. My order for 18 chicks arrived 2/7 alive, well and full of peep.
jumpy.gif
Of course I ordered from Ideal (in TX) and I live in south Texas, but it was cold here at the time. Alot of things must be factored in. Where you live and the weather conditions during the delivery time; and where you're ordering from and the weather between you and them. Also, the type of chick...some are just hardier than others and of course the hatcheries reputation is important too. And don't forget the good ole' post office. Priority shipping or one day is great in theory, but unfortunately it doesn't always happen. Casualties do happen and it's best to be prepared for that circumstance. But it's not always the norm. Good luck with your chicks and keep us posted.

I have been keeping up on it too. It concerned me because I placed an order with MyPetChicken. I called them this morning and they said that they have heard of the problems lately and are holding off on sending chicks because of the cold weather.. They will be sending mine towards the end of March.

I'm with Jody on this one...People aren't stopping to think that one day it can be in the 60s where they live and the next day its 20 or lower...atleast thats the way the weather is here in WV during Jan. Feb . and March..This past 2 weeks it's been from -2 to the 69 here....To hatcherys it's just a box of chicks that can be replaced...I read somewhere one of the hatcherys said where they can hatch and ship maybe 400,000 and only lose 40,000, well to me thats 40,000 too many....I certainly don't want to open a box of dead chicks...that's why I hatch....Place orders for late March or April when the weather is warmer atleast they have a better chance....

my feed store is even waiting till march 4 when is should be warmer here that is chick day at the feed store Pray for me LOL. I am supposed to just go talk and mabe hand out the pamphlets from here

Henry

If the hatcheries would not ship when it is too cold it would prevent a lot of needless deaths. Even if the people ordering don't think about it or realize the temperature will kill the babies, the hatcheries would know it. But unfortunately the dollar will win because what dies might be ordered again.
K

Back
Top Bottom