1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seems like it took FOREVER!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkmartin73, Jul 3, 2015.

1. pinkmartin73

pinkmartin73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio
    Omigosh! That's huge! Good for you!

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My hands are fairly tiny, but I thought it was pretty good size too. I'm proud of my girl! Nothing this morning, but I leave my house around 7ish, so hopefully when I get home. I did get one nest box mounted yesterday, and had one looking in it this morning before I left.

Here it is in the carton for better perspective.... (I feel like such a dork, I'm so glad you guys understand! [​IMG])

[​IMG]

3. pinkmartin73

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio
    Yep. Good sized egg and we understand. I found an egg in the run this morning. First time that's happened. Was small and partially off white partially light brown. Wierd. I assume it was a 1st egg. Just don't know who laid.

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    Would assume a new layer too. Maybe the others haven't taught her where to lay yet?

I got one more today, same exact color, just a little smaller, so I assume same girl.

5. pinkmartin73

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio
    That's great news! I wish mine would lay "normal" sized eggs. I have people who want to buy eggs but since they have slowed to 2 or 3 eggs a day and they are so small I haven't sold any yet.

6. k5crew

k5crew Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Kingsland, Texas
    We are up to 8 girls laying! The super young one is giving us a tiny egg every third or fourth day - not bad for a 16 wk old naked neck! I was so happy that our Buff Orp decided to lay today! I did a happy jig in the yard. I'm glad the kids and neighbors are used to me. [​IMG]

7. pinkmartin73

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio

Ha ha thats awesome! I have completely lost track of who is and who isn't except I don't think my lil bantam pullet is yet. Her comb and wattles are just starting to redden and she hasn't expressed even curiosity in the nest boxes.

8. k5crew

k5crew Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Kingsland, Texas
    Oh not here my kids won't let me. It is even a challenge to check the nest boxes first. I figure it will end up in a knock down drag out fight before summer is over!
    Tomorrow I'm going to hard boil some eggs!

9. pinkmartin73

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio

We have a neighbor kid who will check the coop with my boy. If theres a blue egg he runs home with it and drives his mom crazy to cook it. I guess finding the egg himself is just better than me sending a carton full of eggs over. It seems that all my same breed girls lay the same color eggs. So without installing nanny cam I can't be positive who all is laying.

10. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia

That's hilarious!
    Hubby beat me home yesterday and I asked if he looked for eggs. Here said he knew how excited I was, so he didn't even look. He knew I wanted to do it. Awwwww gotta love him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by