Seems like it took FOREVER!!

I also meant to ask you guys... What time of morning do your girls usually lay? Shortly after sunrise, mid-morning? Noon? Anybody get evening eggs?

That's hilarious!
Hubby beat me home yesterday and I asked if he looked for eggs. Here said he knew how excited I was, so he didn't even look. He knew I wanted to do it. Awwwww gotta love him.

Awww! That's so nice of him. My hubby doesn't really have much to do with them but he is always happy to hear how many eggs we got. He hates grocery store eggs.

My girls lay all day long. First egg is usually after breakfast and last up until 5p. Just depends on where their cycle falls that day.

My hubby acts uninterested, but last night he pouted and said he has not even been able to eat an egg! Lol. It was so cute.

My girls lay all day long. First egg is usually after breakfast and last up until 5p. Just depends on where their cycle falls that day.

My hubby acts uninterested, but last night he pouted and said he has not even been able to eat an egg! Lol. It was so cute.

Haha that is cute. They try to be so manly, but then they can do such cute things.

Today is much cooler out. 4 eggs so far. Last several days we got 2 or 3. I wonder if the cool temp will give us more today.

Good question. Makes sense though. Wonder if that's how you get double yolkers, when they skip a day. Now I'm anxious for the day that I get multiple eggs. Let us know if you get more.
I read somewhere that it takes 25 or so hours to produce an egg, so they would eventually have to skip a day of us checking.

One of my RIR's and my BSL has bright red combs and waddles but neither one are laying. But my faithful RSL gives me a small egg almost every day! The next time she skips a day I'm going to mark it on the calendar and see how many days she lays before she skips again. So far she is the only one laying. She started the first week in July. I think she has only skipped three days. I'm patiently waiting for the others to lay but gosh I wish they would hurry up!!!

Last edited:
One of my RIR's and my BSL has bright red combs and waddles but neither one are laying.  But my faithful RSL gives me a small egg almost every day!  The next time she skips a day I'm going to mark it on the calendar and see how many days she lays before she skips again.  So far she is the only one laying.  She started the first week in July.  I think so far she has only skipped three days.  I'm patiently waiting for the others to lay but gosh I wish they would hurry up!!!

Totally makes sense. Maybe nail down her cycle. Kind of a neat lil experiment:)
Some of my girls "looked" ready a good couple of weeks before they actually laid. My lil bantam girl is finally starting to show more red and seems a bit tamer. The big girls who didn't give her the time of day before are starting to get snippy with her. I'm not experienced enough to know if hormones when nearing lay will tick off other girls. I still haven't seen her show any interest in nest boxes.

Got my 3rd egg on the 3rd day. Yay to whichever girl is doing it!
yesss.gif

I have a few with wattles have gotten really large and much more red in just the past week or so. So I expect it is one of them that is giving me the eggs. I have also noticed just in the past few days, that if I go to pet several of them, they will squat now, in the "take me" mode.... I noticed it first when my turkey walked up behind one of them! But my turkey is female, so I don't think that was her intention!!
gig.gif

I have to go buy feed this evening. I'm wondering if I should buy some fake eggs? She has laid all 3 days in the coop, not in the nest box, but I can see that the nest box has been visited, because the shavings are disturbed. I stopped at the dollar store yesterday and bought 2 eggs of silly putty! Took the putty out and replaced with some dirt and a rock, to make it heavier. Then I mixed some craft paint to match the color of the eggs I am getting, and I painted the plastic eggs! They were still damp this morning, so I didn't put them in the nest box. Do you think that will work, or should I just buy some? I mean, if golf balls work, I don't see why my painted ones wouldn't, unless they scratch the paint off. (green and orange were the only colors I could buy!)

Back
Top Bottom