Seems like it took FOREVER!!

k5crew - I have 5 red sex links and 1 black austrolorp pullets. I also have 2 black austrolorp roosters and 1 little bantam rooster. All are around 19 or 20 weeks. I am not sure exactly though. The other 5 are 14 or 15 week old silkies. I'm not sure how many of those are male / female. It's hard to tell on them.

We found three more eggs today. I caught two girls in there laying. My kids are frustrated that I haven't let them get any! LOL. Not sure I can help myself.
We have been free ranging and I was so worried they would lay in the yard. Yeah they are getting in the best boxes!!!

We found three more eggs today. I caught two girls in there laying. My kids are frustrated that I haven't let them get any! LOL. Not sure I can help myself.
We have been free ranging and I was so worried they would lay in the yard. Yeah they are getting in the best boxes!!!

That's great! I am only a lil bit jealous. Our current joke is that in a couple weeks maybe we will have a dozen total. Really hoping the others start to earn their keep soon.

Congratulations on all the first eggs everyone! :ya You know, I am pretty sure I am strange, but after having chickens for years and years, every single egg still excites me. It just never gets old! :)

Keep me posted!!!

One of the buff orpingtons laid today! Its the cutest lil brown egg. She fretted and fussed so much like she wanted to lay but she didnt like the box. I threw together another. She arranged and rearranged the bedding and fake eggs so many times i was thinking she was going broody over fake eggs lol. I ran to town cuz the suspense was killing me. An hour later I came home to see her exiting the box:) Fresh egg was still warm and wet. She trotted around like she was bursting with pride.

Until my boy wanted chickens for 4-H it never ocurred to me they had such big personalities.

Congratulations on all the first eggs everyone! :ya You know, I am pretty sure I am strange, but after having chickens for years and years, every single egg still excites me. It just never gets old! :)

I have a feeling I will be the same way. We have had hermit crabs for years. I still get excited when one comes up safely from a 2 month molt. Its not an easy feat to keep hermies thriving in captivity. A succesful molt is sooo exciting!

I get so excited over critters. I cant imagine what having a grandbaby soon will be. Lol

After reading about egg laying behavior, I'm pretty sure it is my Red Sexlink who is laying at least one of the eggs. She suddenly became very friendly a couple of days before my husband found the egg. Tonight my Black Sexlink wanted to be pet! Her comb and waddles are darker red too. And one of my RIR has larger and darker red combs and waddles but she isn't very friendly.

I think 4 of my 7 big girls are laying now. It is awesome. The other 3 cannot be to far behind. The rest of my girls are 5-6 weeks younger, so the will be a while yet.
Thank everyone for sharing!! I am loving this thread!!!!

I think 4 of my 7 big girls are laying now. It is awesome. The other 3 cannot be to far behind. The rest of my girls are 5-6 weeks younger, so the will be a while yet. 6
Thank everyone for sharing!! I am loving this thread!!!!

I just have the 2 laying so far. They are laying every other day. So yesterday we got a brown egg. Today a blue egg. Tomorrow brown and so on. Several seem "ready" but haven't lain yet. Is lain a word? Lol sounds fine in my head but looks odd in print. Anyway, we haven't used any of them yet. I can't decide how I want to cook them.

Back
Top Bottom