Segragating Hens and roos--- best How/when???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momma_Cluck, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Our Mixed "Box-O'_Bantams" has turned out to be slightly more Roo's than Hens -- but the Roo's are SO pretty,sweet, and friendly there is NO WAY I'm getting rid of them!
    (4 white Silkies-2m/2F, Black Silkies-2M/1F, 1 ea m/f Seabrights, OEG 2M/1F and 1 F Mille Fluer D'uccle)

Here are My Questions:
    #1-- at what age MUST I separate the Hens from the Roos??? (Do not want any injuries or fertile eggs... tho egg-laying is a ways off!)

#2--Can all the Roo's be kept in one coop/run?? Someone told us the males each need their own space--- but wouldn't being "brood-mates" make that unnessisary???

#3-- we are getting 12 more Chicks soon, all standard-sized breeds.. will THOSE males be ok with the Banty males????

I know thats a lot to ask-- but ANY help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Oh boy, I think you are going to have to get rid of some roos:>) Or caponize them

3. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Caponizing is out of the question-- these will be mated eventually.....

The other thing is that there isn't anyone in my area who can/will do the procedure-- and I'm sure not qualified to do it!!!!
    I HAD considered the process for the Meat-chickens we plan to get in the spring... but will go with hens due to the above reasons.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've heard that you can keep all of your roos in a bachelor pad.... but, they can turn on one of their buddies and mate him to death [​IMG] Maybe not as frequent an incident in bantams versus standards....???? I dunno

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by