Segregation and Breeding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by YahKheena, Aug 24, 2013.

1. YahKheena

YahKheena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi, we have 7 pullets, 3 are red sex-link and 4 black austrolorps with one red sex-linked roo. The pullets range between 16-20 weeks the roo is 20 weeks. It's like we have two flocks because they segregate themselves according to breed? Just wondering will our roo mate with both breeds? He basically sticks with his own breed. I hope that one day we will have one flock. Thanks in advance for your words of experience.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are young. Give it time and my guess would be that the cockerel will mature and as a rooster, he'll want to mate them all and ride herd on them all.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya, with only seven girls the rooster will eventually want to pay attention to everybody and keep them closer together. Don't be surprised though if they always keep themselves segregated to some extent, often some breeds or particular birds do seem to want to stick together. Even if they are the same age, mine tend to divide themselves into smaller flocks (with or without a rooster) and often the same breed or birds of the same type of temperament will run with each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by