Seizures

Shygirl34

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2018
I have a crested duck I have been having her for 2 1/2 months now. She have been having seizures back to back and I am so afraid its going to become fatal. Her first seizure was two weeks ago. She started trembling very hard and was walking like she was dizzy. Yesterday afternoon me and my kids was rubbing her and she had a seizure again. She flipped her wings and left them in the air and laid her body flat on the ground while turning her head in a circle. It scared me and my children were didn't know what to do. That seizure lasted for 3 to 4 minutes then, she was OK. I hugged her and rubbed her then, again it happened again back to back seizures. Today she did it 2 times again. I called a Avian and Exotic clinic and got her a appointment for Thursday. I am afraid it she keeps having seizures back to back she not gonna make it. I asked the lady at the clinic what can I do and she told me there is nothing I can do but, make sure she don't hit her head or hurt herself. I am so afraid for her and it hurts me dearly to see my duck go through that. If anyone knows anything about duck and seizures can you please help me. Thanks!
20181210_194928.jpg

You may also want to post this in the Emergencies, Disease, Injuries and Cures forum, in the mean time will tag a few that maybe of help ... You may want to update your profile with your location, helps knowing your time zone & weather conditions when asking for help.

:bow @WVduckchick @Ravynscroft @casportpony @azygous @BantyChooks :bow
Thank you in advance for your advice

Welcome to BYC! What type of food does she eat?
She started eating duck food and then I did some reading on google and found out ducks can eat corn So I tried to switch up her food and started giving her corn and fresh veggies.

No not that I know of. She want even touch her duck food anymore since I started feeding her veggies. I tried giving her both and for a while she was eating both but, then she didn't want duck food anymore. She haven't been eating like she normally does. All she wants is water.

Is she an adult duck? Or is two and a half months her actual age?

If she's only a youngster, she may have a vitamin deficiency. Chickens get various manifestations of wry neck which can cause similar symptoms. Ducks, being similar fowl, could have something similar.

We recommend vitamin E 400iu and about 25mcg selenium each day until the symptoms disappear. You would see improvement very quickly.

If your duck is an adult, there's a chance she got into something toxic and it's causing a neuro toxic reaction. If the corn was moldy, it could be the cause of this. If you suspect this is the cause rather than a vitamin deficiency, you might try a molasses flush to try to purge the toxins from her intestines.

Young ducks need lots proper vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. May I suggest that you switch back to a duck feed? Since the seizures started after changing her feed, I suspect that could be the problem.
I have starting today. I been trying to get her to eat duck food for 2 weeks now and she won't eat it. I will keep trying....I feel guilty for giving her veggies.

Back
Top Bottom