1. Les n Billy

Les n Billy New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    northumberland uk
    Hi folks.
    Please can you help.
    We are new to keeping hens and have an unknown breed, a blackrock called boc boc and a light sussex called sicknote.

sicknote came to us last week with boc boc and she was very pale had squinty eyes like which were rarely fully open and had diarroea. she was a loner, spent a lot of time indoors, when she was out she hid in corners and nodded off of her feet. it was like her head was too heavy to hold up and she would just close her eyes.

we took her back to the farm we got her from and they gave her a shot of antibiotics and a 3 day supply.

she has not got much better since this is all in the space of 1 week. yesterday she had some sort of seizure. she fell backwards and rolled around uncontrollably after wards she sat in her box with her head tilted back as far as she could get it (stargazing?). we took her back to the farm straight away and she looked fine, they told us to give her another week.

Last night she had about 10 seizures. they are not like any I have seen on the net. they are violent, involving the hole body and always seem to cause her to fall backwards, followed by star gazing which she can do for about 30 minutes. she also has poor coordination and is struggling to pick up her food. drinking loads and still very slow and sleepy.

I really hope you can help. I am dreading tonight in case she has more although she has not had a fit today.

thank you very much I have a video but its on billy's phone and he is out. I will try to upload it later.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    What type of antibiotic did they give you for the hen? How old is the hen?
    It could be malnutrition or neurological. Have you tried a dispersible powder supplement in the water? It should contain a significant amount of A,D,E vitamins in it. Avian Super Pack, and Vitamins Electrolytes "Plus" are couple good quality brands.

3. Les n Billy

Les n Billy New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    northumberland uk
    I dont know what ab they gave us, it was in a syringe. she is about 19 weeks old. i shall get some vit/mins for her water in the morning. i was also thinking of doing a vaggie mash as it might be easier for her to eat.

4. Les n Billy

Les n Billy New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    northumberland uk
    We have made a very watery mash and she was able to eat it better than the pellets. going to persevere with this sevral times a day.

we are unable to attach a video. do not know how to do it.

5. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I am fairly new to chickens myself but have been doing a good job with losing them. :(

From my experience, Sicknote is too far gone and will not make it. I don't understand why the farm sold her to you. Having a disease in the flock is devastating. I am losing one every couple of weeks, the last one was sent to the state lab so that I know what I am dealing with. Even if Sicknote survives, she will likely be a carrier which will make it difficult to add more chickens to your flock.

If I were you, I would take Sicknote back to the farm and leave her there. Cross your fingers that the other two do not get sick. Wait a couple of months and find another farm to get more chickens from.

Good luck.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Find out what they gave her,it could be causing the seizures,did seizures start before or after the injection,this is important information. Are you still giving the injections,if so STOP,until you know what it is,and what dose she is getting. Give her the vitamins(poly-vi-sol infant vitamins,without iron) mentioned by a forum member. Her symptoms could be several things,what are the symptoms besides the seizures,how is her poop? Head tilted back can be another form of a seizure.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  7. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes, if the seizures happen shortly after each injection then that is a very important detail. I'm also curious what antibiotic was given, if it was even a real antibiotic at all.

At this point, the seizures could be the antibiotics or an infection gone unabated now causing neurological symptoms (torticollis, etc.). Has the diarrhea cleared up any?

I think you're going to have to get her a real antibiotic, such as enrofloxacin, and stop with the mystery drug. In the UK, that probably entails taking her to a vet.

To attach a video, upload it to Youtube then click on the icon here that looks like a filmstrip and then enter the video's URL.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she hasn't been eating, try giving her some sugar water or corn syrup, hypoglycemia can cause seizures.

-Kathy

9. Les n Billy

Les n Billy New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    northumberland uk
    Thankyou to every one who replied. We went for 3 days with no seizures. The mashed food went down a storm with vit min supplements added. And sicknote was really showing signs of improvement but last night the seizures started again. She is now confined with her mash and water with envirofluxicin antibiotic. 3 more days last chance. The farm would not tell us what ab they gave us as they said it was supposed to be vet prescibed! they are now saying they do not accept reeturns after 1 week. We had tried to take her back last week but they kept saying give her a chance. Really p*#!'d off. Its not about the money, they can keep that. Its the principle of supplying sick chooks. Although saying that Boc Boc is now popping out eggs like theres no tomorrow. I could not have been prouder Had I layed them myself!

1 person likes this.
  10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    They have to tell you what they gave her! Do not let them get away with that,DEMAND ANSWERS. Tell them you are taking her to a vet and your vet needs to know what drug it was to prescribe treatment. I still suspect that what they injected her with has caused some damage,and refusing to disclose this information,confirms this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by