Selecting a Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by floman13, Jan 7, 2014.

1. floman13

floman13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Awendaw, SC
    We just lost several of our chickens this month to predators one of which was our bantam rooster. We would like to keep a rooster in our flock to help watch over the girls but we also have young children. Any sugestions on a good breed of rooster who is least likely to terrorize the kids?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Are you wanting a standard or a bantam? I've only had a few Silkie and Mille Fleur bantams and one roo (Mille Fleur) so I haven't had much experience with the different bantie breeds. However, I have had many standard roosters and my favorite has been and still is the Silver Gray Dorking. He was very friendly, yet protective and always alert. He didn't really like to be held, but he would always follow me around for snacks. Unfortunately, he died from the dreaded Mycoplasma a couple of months ago. It's a very interesting breed, dating back to Ancient Rome. Very attractive too.

3. Kamiki

Kamiki Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    Every silkie rooster I've ever had has been sweet and easily handled.

4. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    silkie for banty and my barraed rock was such a sweet boy he died protecting his baby birds, did enjoy holding as much when he was older but he was one of the best birds ive had

5. floman13

floman13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Awendaw, SC
    I think we want a standard. Our banty was a gold laced wayendotte. Was thinking about a cochin or salmon faveroles??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by