Pics

Ruthster55

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Northern South America
Here are my goals with the general egg-laying flock:

First, I want broody hens that set eggs and then brood them. This is because mail-order chicks aren't a thing where I live, although local breeders do exist.

Second, I love the following appearance traits: Black, Blue, and Toppy (because it's so cute). Third, I like having eggs of different colors.

Here a couple of pictures of Silly Rooster, who was our former flock rooster that fathered a large number of the chickens in our current flock. Even though he was just a mutt, he had some really neat traits that included a partial blue color. (If you would rather that I call the color gray, just say so)!

During the second half of 2019, we improved the security of the chicken run.

Back during late February and early March, there was a gap between the chicken yard and the wall of the dirt-floor building that can be seen behind the tropical plant in the pictures. I noticed that a hen was sometimes hanging out in the building, but wasn't really paying much attention to what she was up to. I just thought they were playing around.

We had not had chicks hatch for several years.
IMG_20200806_100711.jpg

IMG_20200806_100713.jpg

Since March 18th until now, there has almost always been one hen broody in the flock. They haven't gone broody in large numbers at any one time, and they have always gone broody on eggs. Therefore, the broodiness in this flock has been productive. We have rarely had to break a broody hen, although we did it a couple times recently.

On April 10th, these chicks hatched! There were 7 chicks. I had to rush out and get proper chick starter after these pics were taken. Now, I always keep chick starter on hand.

I don't know of anyone anywhere nearby who breeds Blue Copper Marans. The rooster was sold to me for a very reasonable price (around 10 dollars) that leads me to guess that he was a mutt. I just bought him last year at a market because I thought he was cute.

Prices are pretty high here for Brahmas and for Game birds, and there aren't even any Brahmas to be had under a 12 hour drive away (even though I would love to have some Brahmas). I believe an actual Blue Copper Marans would be rather expensive! The common types of chickens in this local area are Games, giant Naked Necks, Cornish Cross for eating, and mutts.

Also, the egg color of the progeny does not suggest a Marans father. This hen is a blue egg layer. One of her daughters lays a light green egg that I'll show in a later post. I'm thrilled about having green eggs, but I think they would be a lot darker if a Marans were the father. Thus, mutt....
IMG_20200410_103256.jpg
IMG_20200415_143728.jpg

IMG_20200410_103304-ANIMATION.gif

Last edited:
During May, a neighbor's Game cock and his non-Game harem tried to visit our flock! In the pictures, you can see the building where the first hens hatched their chicks.

No, I didn't let them into the chicken yard.

The neighbor eventually moved his Game cock to another location. This was just a temporary source of a bit of flock drama and fun pictures.

IMG_20200524_075756.jpg

IMG_20200524_075754.jpg

IMG_20200524_075752_1.jpg

Last edited:
Marans from good breeders can be expensive. In my area locally i've found that your going to pay more for hens/pullets then you are boys. If you can even find hens or pullets for sale. Just yesterday the breeder i got my marans from put some of his extra cockerels up for sale for 15 each at 7 to 8 months old simply because he has too many boys. I got my original 6 marans back in march. of the 6 i ended up with 4 boys. At around 15ish weeks old i made my final decision on my keeper boy and rehomed the other 3 for 10 each. So it is possible your boy is a maran. He has the build, color and large comb and wattles plus feathered feet of one. Regardless though he is a very pretty bird.

On May 7th, two chicks hatched.

Sadly, a few weeks later, I let them out on a sunny morning with their mother. It was too early, and the mother didn't helicopter-parent them.

Then a horrendous three-day storm came up and both were lost.

Things will get better. I promise.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_142815.jpg
    IMG_20200507_142815.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom