Champ Mom is actually fostering some of Ashley and Alexandra's beautiful green eggs. Champ Mom lays brown eggs herself, but she chose to set six green eggs that had been left in the old nest boxes. Five eggs hatched today!

Champ Mom is slowly revealing what a couple of Ashley and Alexandra's little chickies look like!

P.S. How do I keep track of all the broody hens and hatch dates? I use an Excel spreadsheet...

IMG_20201028_144642384.jpg
IMG_20201028_144653645.jpg

IMG_20201028_144644478.jpg

I set up a chair out in the chicken run and threw out some crumbles, which they love so I could get a photo opportunity with some of the birds.

And, I made a decision today. Frat Boy has been flock rooster for a little while, but I never intended for him to be a permanent flock rooster. See his white legs? He also probably has recessive white, because he is the father of Miss Velociraptor's chicks. It takes two to tango...

See some of the younger birds with gray legs and even one or two with blackish combs? I'm gonna encourage the dark legs by letting the gray stag take over, at least for a little while. There are enough members of the July 18th hatch that I'll be able to evaluate them in a few weeks. I see some that I really like!

I don't really have any temperament problems with these birds, so that wasn't a factor. Frat Boy will be attending to a small family dinner somehow related to my neighbors' kids' catechism.

IMG_20201029_104909129.jpg
IMG_20201029_105158068.jpg
IMG_20201029_105156308.jpg
IMG_20201029_105154950.jpg
IMG_20201029_105152389.jpg

Last edited:
Up until now, I have been able to keep this thread focused on the chickenz. I just love chickenz and their always-optimistic attitudes whether they’re baby chickz or old hens or experienced roosters.

Yesterday, I sold 4 pigs so I can cut my feed costs and focus on those whacky, demented, lovable chickenz.

However, a tragedy has befallen the actual owner of the farm where I reside. Dr. E. was strongly interested in opportunities abroad and subscribed to International Living magazine.

Eight years ago, he invested in the farm where I live.

Very recently, and without my knowledge, Dr. E. purchased a six-passenger Cessna Centurion (used) from someone in the Mountain West.

While flying that recently-purchased aircraft from Belen, New Mexico toward his home in east Texas, Dr. E. attempted to land at Lubbock International Airport. A strong cold front was coming in, and with it, ice. The Cessna Centurion did not have de-icing equipment.

Dr. E. and the Cessna Centurion crashed in somebody’s backyard near the Lubbock airport while he was attempting the approach to LBB. No one was injured on the ground and the only structural damage was to a fence.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/244416

QEPD

Last edited:
Champ Mom is actually fostering some of Ashley and Alexandra's beautiful green eggs. Champ Mom lays brown eggs herself, but she chose to set six green eggs that had been left in the old nest boxes. Five eggs hatched today!

Champ Mom is slowly revealing what a couple of Ashley and Alexandra's little chickies look like!

P.S. How do I keep track of all the broody hens and hatch dates? I use an Excel spreadsheet...

View attachment 2390848View attachment 2390850
View attachment 2390838
I use an app called flock plenty to keep track of my birds. You can even add pictures. I like it and it’s easy to use.

This morning, the chickies enjoyed some November beetles! MmmYum!

October or November beetles are
Scarabaeidae that are similar to the June beetles in the States. They emerge after the rainy season starts.

The chickies’ Mommie went and collected some more November beetles for treats tomorrow!

Last edited:
The July 18th hatch girls and guys are now 16 weeks + 5 days in age, according to timeanddate.com

Pretty much every morning, they have been receiving some November beetles to stimulate their energy and maturation.

According to their combs, it will still be a couple of weeks before they start laying. But, I’m anxious to see what color eggs the pullets hatch!!

The blue rooster is still young but is learning the ropes.

We have had some really rainy, drippy weather lately.

Here is one of the pullets. What a cute face! Will she lay green or brown eggs?? Who knows??

CFAD5EC6-A17E-41D3-84D5-BB3851DDD4EC.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom