The flock got November beetles this morning, but it’s raining too hard tonight for me to gather them.

At least they have had 4 straight mornings with November beetles. They go crazy for them!

I’m guessing that insects have some trace nutrients or amino acids that feed doesn’t provide. Maybe methionine?

The latest flock gossip is about some kind of subdivision or development going in next door...

D*mn those greedy developers!!

E2279C8C-F4DC-4F54-937F-F1D5377B5F9B.jpeg

Just wanted to share pics of a few of the chickens this morning. I've been able to keep them toppy, which I think is really cute!

The last picture (yeah, it's a lousy picture because she was in the shade) shows how one some of my birds have black eyes and dark faces. I know what this is called by the APA and the like, but I want to respect the Roma people, so I will call it "cute face." I find this gives the blue chicken a very consistent appearance! Matchy-matchy, you know?

The gray rooster has orange eyes similar to what Silly Rooster had. He's not so matchy-matchy. Eventually, I may select based on eye and leg color, but for now I will just leave them be and will check egg laying and perhaps conformation in a few weeks when more birds start to lay.
IMG_20201115_084257543.jpg
00009IMG_00009_BURST1605447713706.jpg
IMG_20201115_084148584.jpg

IMG_20201115_084449589.jpg

Last edited:
For the last two weeks or so, most nights at dusk I have been collecting November beetles (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) in quantities ranging from around 35 to around 450 at the maximum. I’ve missed a couple nights, but the next morning I feel guilty for not giving out the treats.

The chickies get November beetles as a snack around 7:15 am. They go absolutely bonkers over them! Each chicken usually gets 2-10 beetles. They are incredibly vocal and rather rowdy at this time - much more vocal than when receiving feed or baked and crushed eggshells. (Oyster shell isn’t available here).

What I noticed today is that I have two more young roos (stags) than I previously knew. One is showing some nice green tail feather starts. I have a use for these guys, and it has little to do with the dinner table. They will be employed as flock protectors pretty soon.

Also, an unknown pullet laid a nice 40-g beginner egg that I will enjoy for breakfast along with a few of Ashley and Alexandra’s beautiful light green creations. I suspect the beetle supplement helped “turn her on.”

The dietary supplement of insects seems to give cockerels and pullets a little extra boost toward sexual maturity. The day length here isn’t any longer than before (I’m north of the Equator). Also, it’s been mostly cloudy for the past few weeks.

If the weather isn’t too bad in the next couple of days, I will get some new pictures of the crazy crowd that goes mad for beetles!

Back
Top Bottom