• We've raised SB/Lav Orpington for more than 5 years

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • We prefer the term Self Blue

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • We prefer the term Lavender

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • We are neutral on the terms SB/Lav

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • We like the color SB/Lav in Orpingtons!

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • We like the SB/Lav color in all poultry!

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
I love your 'building the barn that's already painted' input! Very useful.

Your very welcome..hoping it helps understand the concept of building the lavender orp to USA standards...
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Here is a thought.... Metzer Farms has for years invited a team of poultry judges to "judge" their breeders. Here are links to the comparisons:

http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=356484

http://www.metzerfarms.com/GooseBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=356484

Invite a couple of respected judges to visit hinkjc and see what they think. No need to go to a poultry show, bring the show to you. You have several judges that live close to you. I might be able to locate a couple that would give you an honest review if you want one. Or give you a short list of judges that you can contact.

Jim not a bad idea, however this wouldn't be able to be done until about this time next year, as of right now we will only have our newest generation of black splits chicks, remember we re homed all of the 5th generation and only kept a select single male to recross to some of our select black Orps.
, but by this time next year we will be back to full lavender orps with a fresh line crossed into them. we are planning to show our lavenders in Pa shows and maybe a few fairs(AOV) in Pa in the next year or so coming and try Our hand at it..will also be presenting our lavender araucanas along with Our other standard colored orps and Lf Araucana, Somthing we've been wanting to try for some time, but the time is never right. Things will be changing in the near future and make things possible by then..

Last edited:
Quote:
Word of warning....exhibiting poultry can be addictive!

You could still have a judge look the splits over. Or better yet, enter the splits in a show as Blacks. With exhibition, if they look like Black Orpingtons, then they are Black Orpingtons. Does not matter if their parents are a pheasant and a turkey. If it looks like a Black Orpington in the showroom, then it is judged as Black Orpington. So enter some Splits as Blacks and see what happens.

Quote:
Show them as what intent? An Orp? No way they would be DQd for body type alone. They cannot stand up to a proper American Orp, hands down they would lose. I would stand a better chance putting my roo with bleed through in a show and winning BV than the odds on a Lav Orp against any variety American Orp.

The Frankfort poultry show held in KY each year is loaded with breeder birds that put most backyard orps to shame...I was in awe od the size, type and perfection being shown...I cannot see a project standing up to them, I just can't.

The reason I am questioning so much is that I like the lavenders but I do not like the way they look just standing and walking around. I wish I had the facilities to work on the lav project but I do not, I am working on my BBS but even they are much larger and correct type than the lavs are yet . Is that what you would want because they will show poorly...I think showing them prematurely is a bad move for any progress towards a standard...is that what you want a judge evaluating for a new variety...something that cannot meet type? Seems like taking a few steps further away from a standard than towards it. At least from my perspective.

Last edited:
Word of warning....exhibiting poultry can be addictive!

You could still have a judge look the splits over. Or better yet, enter the splits in a show as Blacks. With exhibition, if they look like Black Orpingtons, then they are Black Orpingtons. Does not matter if their parents are a pheasant and a turkey. If it looks like a Black Orpington in the showroom, then it is judged as Black Orpington. So enter some Splits as Blacks and see what happens.

exhibiting poultry can be addictive...
droolin.gif

Jim, we shall see as once the splits hatch it will take some time to get there adult on, and then to select breeders from those and breed them to get back to the lavender stage late next year. But these will be awesome i beleive. the Lavender araucana will be superior in conformation as well... Next year is a bit ways to go, but really looking forward to doing some fairs and or Pa shows to test the waters with these new generations coming up...will have to do some reading about showing and preparing for it.
caf.gif

http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/lavenderorpingtonproject.htm

http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/lavenderlfaraucana.htm

Last edited:
Check out the APA online store. They have a DVD about showing. Even a chapter on what to do with the culls. Just about everything you need to know about showing is on that DVD.

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm

Beginners Guide to Raising and Showing Chickens DVD
An essential tool for novice poultry fanciers.
Contains information on everything from hatching to exhibiting and beyond. Includes section on judging at poultry shows by licensed APA judges.
Price $ 20.00

We have a copy we use for our 4H club.

On another note...folks PLEASE stay on topic! DO NOT POST ARGUMENATIVE POSTINGS. We really do not want to see this thread closed. If you do not raise any SB/Lav Orpingtons then you have nothing to add to this topic. I started this topic for breeders of the Self Blue/Lavender Orpington project to compare notes so that we can work towards SOP acceptance. If that takes 2 yaers, 5 years or 10 years so be it.

My suggestion to the breeders of Self Blue/Lavender Orpingtons is to ignore those who post argumentative statements and click on the "report" button on said posts.

Quote:
Show them as what intent? An Orp? No way they would be DQd for body type alone. They cannot stand up to a proper American Orp, hands down they would lose. I would stand a better chance putting my roo with bleed through in a show and winning BV than the odds on a Lav Orp against any variety American Orp.

The Frankfort poultry show held in KY each year is loaded with breeder birds that put most backyard orps to shame...I was in awe od the size, type and perfection being shown...I cannot see a project standing up to them, I just can't.

The reason I am questioning so much is that I like the lavenders but I do not like the way they look just standing and walking around. I wish I had the facilities to work on the lav project but I do not, I am working on my BBS but even they are much larger and correct type than the lavs are yet . Is that what you would want because they will show poorly...I think showing them prematurely is a bad move for any progress towards a standard...is that what you want a judge evaluating for a new variety...something that cannot meet type? Seems like taking a few steps further away from a standard than towards it. At least from my perspective.

I find that funny. I've taken Best & Reserve English with Split Orps.
big_smile.png

If the breeder is actually working on them, they look quite Orpy indeed. Unfortunately, many who have acquired them are not working on perfecting them.

Renee thats right, i totally forgot about that, congrats again if i forgot the first time, I think there was another somewhere who showed a Lavender Orp but i cant for the life of me remember who and or where that was anymore. i know they got some kind of ribbon for that show or fair..?

You are still continuing with the lavenders/sb orps right?

Last edited:
Quote:
Sure am, Charlie & Thanks! Frustrated as all get out with some of the locals, but am plugging along. We were just in the barn evaluating them. I'm getting some lavs with a much nicer feather quality. This season's splits are enormous, great type & will be shown in the fall.
smile.png
I've also taken a liking to the mottled chicks that hatched this year.

Back
Top Bottom