Self Blue (Lavender) Silkie Thread

Quote:
I personally would cross my lighter colored blues with my blacks. All mine would have a lighter undercolor but you would get a variety of sade of blue then. It would depend on the judge to what they like or don't like!!!!

cool.png

I'm getting a black roo from Premier to breed to my lavender girl and this guy needs a new home. I just posted him in the for sale section. Pick up only in Georgia.. I can't ship yet. sorry

c1331e1b.jpg

1d167203.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to start breeding my lavenders to a black split rooster. I think we need to strengthen the genes back up in the lavs. Although I just hatched 3 lavender babies! One egg I had to duck tape because I dropped another egg on top of it. He hatched today. So, if you ever crack an egg, get the duck tape it works, if the membrane hasn't been torn.

I have had a terrible time trying to hatch lavenders. I have one lavender showgirl cockerel and I have hatched for a year. I just hatched 3 babies, but I put them on a vitamin and it seems to be improving my fertility and hatching rates.

That's why I'm selling the roo above. I've had no problems hatching the black splits. But the lavenders die around day 18 or so and never hatch. It's a real problem. The roo from Premier is super so it should be a nice addition to the lavender lines. I'll get the lavenders eventually. Lol

Quote:
I personally would cross my lighter colored blues with my blacks. All mine would have a lighter undercolor but you would get a variety of sade of blue then. It would depend on the judge to what they like or don't like!!!!

cool.png

With splits there is no evidence of lavender whatsoever. WHen a bird is blue or splash and lavender (not split) it is very diffficult to discern that the bird is also lavender; it has much more the appearance of blue or splash. In either case, you can show the birds as blue or splash (or in the first case, black). If a bird is black and lavender, it is lavender.

Quote:

cool.png

With splits there is no evidence of lavender whatsoever. WHen a bird is blue or splash and lavender (not split) it is very diffficult to discern that the bird is also lavender; it has much more the appearance of blue or splash. In either case, you can show the birds as blue or splash (or in the first case, black). If a bird is black and lavender, it is lavender.

What do you mean if a bird is black & Lavender, it is Lavender???
Does it have lavender undercoat and black outer feathers, ie head tail????

i think she means the black/lavender will definitely produce lavender when bred to lavender (50/50) or another black/lav split (25/75). Where the other ones you can't tell what they'll produce because they look similiar.

Last edited:
Quote:

cool.png

What do you mean if a bird is black & Lavender, it is Lavender???
Does it have lavender undercoat and black outer feathers, ie head tail????

It means the bird is visually black but carries the lavender gene. Most people would agree that it's hard to tell which is a split without breeding them to a lavender to see what the pairing produces. I've heard some indicating that there are subtle tells either at birth with the split having lighter marks on their wings or as an adult with splits sometimes having lighter eye color but I remain unconvinced of these methods. Hope that helps
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom