Self Blue (Lavender) X Splash? Also questions on Blue/Black/Splash Genes?

Neco

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2017
Canterbury, Connecticut
Just trying to understand some genetics. If I were to breed a Self Blue Old English Game Bantam (OEGB) with a Splash OEGB I should expect to get 50% Blue split Self Blue chicks & 50% Black Split Self Blue chicks? Is that correct? As Self Blue in OEGB is really the lavender gene (completely different than the Andalusian Blue gene) and Splash is 2 copies of the Andalusian Blue gene.

Next if I were to breed two Blacks that were out of two Blues they should only produce Blacks? Correct? Or would they have a chance at producing Blues...like would they be split to it? I read somewhere that the Blue gene is "incompletely dominate" so that only birds carrying the gene will show it, one copy gets you a Blue bird, two copies a Splash so that made me think a Black bird couldn't carry it? Is that line of thinking incorrect?

Thanks in advance!

Black x black will always give you black, never blue. Lavender x splash will produce 100% blue offspring (split to lavender).

Awesome! I am was trying to decide what chicks to order this spring and that def helped me decide as I want to stick with Lavender, Splash, & Blues. Thanks for the help!!

Ok so here is what I have so far as a reference for myself:

Black x Black = 100% Black
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Self Blue x Self Blue = 100% Self Blue
Blue x Blue = 50% Blue / 25% Black / 25% Splash
Blue x Black = 50% Blue / 50% Black
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue / 50% Splash
Black x Splash = 100% Blue
Self Blue x Splash = 100% Blue (Split to Self Blue)
Self Blue x Black = 100% Black (Split to Self Blue)

Need help with what Self Blue x Blue would get me? Anyone know?

Ok so here is what I have so far as a reference for myself:

Black x Black = 100% Black
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Self Blue x Self Blue = 100% Self Blue
Blue x Blue = 50% Blue / 25% Black / 25% Splash
Blue x Black = 50% Blue / 50% Black
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue / 50% Splash
Black x Splash = 100% Blue
Self Blue x Splash = 100% Blue (Split to Self Blue)
Self Blue x Black = 100% Black (Split to Self Blue)

Need help with what Self Blue x Blue would get me? Anyone know?
Self blue x blue would be 50% blue and 50% black (both split to self blue). This is because self blue is black with two copies of the lavender gene, so it acts like black when crossed with non-lavender varieties.

Back again!

Not that I ever plan on creating these crossings but I like to know how the genes interact in case it ever happens.....I know I'm kinda beating a dead horse at this point but I just like to know.

So say I breed Blue (Split to Self Blue) x Blue (Split to Self Blue) I would expect I would get some birds that are genetically Splash with 2 copies of the lavender gene which would also make them Self Blue. So what would they look like? Would they look like regular Splash birds or would they look like regular Self Blue Birds? Or would they actually be Splash Self Blues (I expect it would be hard to tell these birds apart from regular Splash)?

I would also expect to get some birds that are genetically Blue with 2 copies of the lavender gene. What would they look like since they'd have two black diluters would they be almost white Self Blues? Would they just be considered Self Blues if so?

Below is an example punnett square I did for Blue (Split to Self Blue) x Blue (Split to Self Blue). The birds with the yellow border are the odd ones out I am questioning.

BB = Black
Bb = Blue
bb = Splash
LL = Self Blue (lavender)
Ll = Split to Self Blue (lavender)
ll = Not a carrier (no lavender genes)

vldGnvL.png

Back again!

Not that I ever plan on creating these crossings but I like to know how the genes interact in case it ever happens.....I know I'm kinda beating a dead horse at this point but I just like to know.

So say I breed Blue (Split to Self Blue) x Blue (Split to Self Blue) I would expect I would get some birds that are genetically Splash with 2 copies of the lavender gene which would also make them Self Blue. So what would they look like? Would they look like regular Splash birds or would they look like regular Self Blue Birds? Or would they actually be Splash Self Blues (I expect it would be hard to tell these birds apart from regular Splash)?

I would also expect to get some birds that are genetically Blue with 2 copies of the lavender gene. What would they look like since they'd have two black diluters would they be almost white Self Blues? Would they just be considered Self Blues if so?

Below is an example punnett square I did for Blue (Split to Self Blue) x Blue (Split to Self Blue). The birds with the yellow border are the odd ones out I am questioning.

BB = Black
Bb = Blue
bb = Splash
LL = Self Blue (lavender)
Ll = Split to Self Blue (lavender)
ll = Not a carrier (no lavender genes)

vldGnvL.png
You would get splash lavenders and blue lavenders. Both would be different from blue, splash, or lavender. I’m not sure about splash lavenders, but blue lavenders basically look like silvery splashes without the spots.

Back
Top Bottom