Self Starting "Old Fashioned Girls" by Choice!!!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
Hi everyone. I grew up in very "american" home, we grew up on hot-dogs and hamburgers, twinkies and cupcakes and basically junk food. I grew up without my mom as well and so I never learned how to cook.

I am slowly learning and teaching myself how to cook, naturally and old-fashioned like, for example pancakes without bisquick and fried chicken without shake 'n bake.

This might sound funny to some of you, but that's why I am posting here. I grew up in California and it's a very "forward" state, no one does anything for themselves here anymore...

I want to take advantage of some of the more southern folk here and learn how to do things for myself. Like cooking, sewing, and just general woman stuff.
smile.png

So first thing I would ask is if anyone has any favorite old fashioned natural recipes, kitchen implements they can't live without, or just general advise to give (maybe you learned something the hard way).
smile.png

Also, has anyone seen the website oldfashionedliving.com, or know of any similar ones?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
what kind of recipes are you looking for?
casseroles
soups
stews
chili
cakes and desserts

that may help a bit to narrow things down

Oh and is there foods you dont like or flavors you dont like?

Last edited:
would you like me to email them to you or post here?...

the BYC cook book is a great resource too

Best thing to do is get a good cookbook. Dont be afraid to experiment. If you are doing a recipe and you think some other ingredient will taste good in it go for it. I have reinvented recipes that turned out great and then some that we said wont do that again. For instance I make sweet potato pie, but I dont use a regular crust I use graham cracker crust and put chopped pecans on the bottom before I add the filling. Watch cooking shows. Love Paula Dean!

I am not southern, nor a woman.. But... can tell you just about anything you want to know about old fashioned living..
We are about 80% self sufficient.. We raise two kids and live well on under 20K a year:D

The folks at the sister site of byc have lots of good discussion in this area...
http://www.sufficientself.com/

Or right here on byc pick a place to start...say make your own yogurt for 1/4 the price and it tastes better and IS better for you!
(Look for missprissy's thread on making home made yogurt.)

Really it is an attitude.... Comprehending that money saved is money earned...
wink.png

ON

Look at Caroline's blog (wannabecountrygirl) Today I baked a couple of loaves of the easy bread that she posted (gumpsgirl's recipe). She also shows you how to make homemade noodles and even butter. She posts lots of photos to help you though the process. You'll enjoy her writing too. I'm her new biggest fan.
big_smile.png

http://thewannabecountrygirl.com

Well, you NEED The Joy of Cooking. There is almost nothing you could want to cook that's not in there. Plus it has explanations and methods described. It is truly an encyclopedia of cooking. I use it constantly. Almost every recipe I love is from that book, so I won't bother posting them and just tell you to find them in the book.
big_smile.png

My mother was a horrible cook and not really around much, so I hear you! I taught myself everything from cooking to knitting. You can do it!

My husband and I with our two young sons just moved to a farm in North Dakota and I am so greatful that I can cook, because we are 20 minutes from the nearest restaurant. I am also learning how to can. It is easier than I thought it would be. I already have people asking if they can buy my canned goods. I also would like to learn how to sew.

I have been cooking since I was 14. I started so that I could get out of doing the dishes. Anyway I have figured out that the best thing to do is know how to make 3-4 meals really well, by heart. That way you are always prepared when you have company and they always think it is amazing how someone so young knows their way around the kitchen so well, lol. Plus when you learn the techniques used for a few meals, you will be on your way to mastering many more. I love looking at new recipes, but I rarely follow any to a "T" I usually just get the feel of a recipe and then adapt it to my family's taste.
Some of my favorites meals are:
Baked ham with scalloped or augratin potatoes, veggies and homemade rolls/biscuits
Ham and beans w/ cornbread and fried cabbage (older relatives love this)
roast chicken w/ homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and veggies
chicken parmesan, pasta, and ceaser salad w/ homemade croutons

Also when you cook for people never appologize always act like you did it on purpose. People are never as critical of you as you are of yourself. Oh and always offer to bring something to gatherings, and then make it something homemade, trust me the hostess/host will appreciate homemade pasta salad, way more than another bag of chips!

I also don't think it is that important that everything be made from scratch. We are busy ladies who sometimes need to catch a break. I just put a spin on boxed things when I have to use them. Like add almond slivers to boxed rice, or an extra couple of handfuls of egg noodles to hamburger helper and top w/ parmesan cheese. Or my favorite, add a box of dry instant pudding to your cake mix and then top with frosting piped from a bag. The piping tricks kids and men every time ;o)

Good luck on your venture.

Back
Top Bottom