Self-Sustaining Meat Chickens?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Turkey on left 12 pounds dressed ...toad on right 15.5 pounds dressed no giblets....

I did not keep feed records, as that was not my goal.

I had two goals a larger thigh and leg (dark meat ratio to white meat) and longer life spans so they can breed on their own. I have gotten it. I have 2 friends here in Minnesota with flocks of these now. We are going to make one more change and try it for a year. I hope to have some current version toads for sale in the spring for eating. So far everything has went to breeding flocks to spread the genetics around. We have eaten the extra roosters to see body type and because they are so tasty smoked or roasted!

I have been working on these since 2012 I have gotten 2 generations only one year. The current toad has been stable for 3 years, I think. I still have some heart issues and color issues I want to clear up. The proposed SOP for a toad will include Orange...Too many are pure white...We need to fix this.

I am working on being self sustaining with my chickens.... I started out a couple of years ago with several differant breeds of hens and I have been working t word's my own backyard mixes. one leaning towards meat and one towards eggs. I have had my incubator just over a year and I am loving some of the egg color and personalitys I am getting from my crosses. My original roos were a leghorn, a rir and a cuckoo marans. I have hatched out several turkens and I love that they have less feathers to pluck, also some if the feather colors I have gotten are beautiful! I am sure I have a ways to go but I am happy with my birds, I enjoy looking at a colorful egg basket and a colorful flock!

I did not keep feed records, as that was not my goal.

I had two goals a larger thigh and leg (dark meat ratio to white meat) and longer life spans so they can breed on their own. I have gotten it. I have 2 friends here in Minnesota with flocks of these now. We are going to make one more change and try it for a year. I hope to have some current version toads for sale in the spring for eating. So far everything has went to breeding flocks to spread the genetics around. We have eaten the extra roosters to see body type and because they are so tasty smoked or roasted!

I have been working on these since 2012 I have gotten 2 generations only one year. The current toad has been stable for 3 years, I think. I still have some heart issues and color issues I want to clear up. The proposed SOP for a toad will include Orange...Too many are pure white...We need to fix this.

that's inspiring! I have followed the process on and off. I would love to be able to take on and breed birds like that, unfortunately I live in an area where we can not have roosters. unfortunately, much of WA state is becoming this way as the population and economy booms and draws people from all over the planet who do not have much tolerance for things like crowing. For now, 8 1/4 lbs dressed is my max in 8.5 weeks. I have managed to essentially eliminate the heart issues and have a near zero mortality rate, at least in this last go round. (other than two runts that arrived already on deaths door).

Are there meat chicken breeds that can be self-sustaining? I know Cornish X Rocks cannot if you want it true to breed. I don't want to rely on someone else all the time for my meat chickens, kinda defeats the self-sustaining thing. lol Thanks in advance!

I highly recommend the Buckeye for your needs.

I researched them, then tried a batch a few seasons ago. I was really impressed with the growth of the cockerals and hens. They are known for coming to about 5 pounds in 18 weeks, if you feed right. They are an intelligent, gentle bird, that forages well. Hardy and decent layers (some lines lay better than others). Good white meat, with plenty of breast (just a bit longer in the leg than the traditional CornX).

If I hadn't decided to put my efforts towards egg color, thus went Marans and Cream Legbars for olive eggers, I would be doing Buckeyes for meat/dual purpose.

They would definitely be a nice, sustainable meat bird to raise season after season.

Good place to find info on the breed is this club's facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmericanBuckeyePoultryClub/?fref=mentions

Some Buckeye breeders are a bit persnickety, but the above group is a real nice group, and helpful.

LofMc

Are there meat chicken breeds that can be self-sustaining? I know Cornish X Rocks cannot if you want it true to breed. I don't want to rely on someone else all the time for my meat chickens, kinda defeats the self-sustaining thing. lol Thanks in advance!
My best advice is go with White Bresse. They taste great and no leg problem. You don't have to butch them all at once. The hen lay decent egg.

Back
Top Bottom