self waterer not refilling

shabbyshic

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Hi there! So i have one of the standard large white and red plastic hanging water containers - but it won't seem to refill itself when the chickens empty the little trough. Anyone else had this problem - what can i do to solve it? I end up having to go out many times a day to tip it with my hand to refill - which is a pain to do.

Any ideas!?

I do have the red and white waterers, just not the hanging kind. I can't imagine how that would happen. Maybe you have something different from mine. Do you have a pic of the waterer? I know my small red and white chick waterer will do that, but not the bigger 1 gallon ones for the adult birds.

They have to be EXACTLY level for them to work right, i dont hang mine cuz its too much of a pain...if its not level it will either all leak out, or not let any out.

The metal ones are less sensitive about being level. For whatever that's worth.

I use a metal one as my primary and I have a plastic one I fill up w/ ice for when it's hot. Not only does it give them cool water but then they have two just in case one fails.

Quote:
The ice thing is a good idea, i never though of that! wow, lol, Thanks for that, i think im gonna just start putting ice in with the water. I know by the middle of the day here our water is hot!

Quote:
The ice thing is a good idea, i never though of that! wow, lol, Thanks for that, i think im gonna just start putting ice in with the water. I know by the middle of the day here our water is hot!

I just love this group for everyone's great ideas. Glad I could finally share one back. Cubed ice works fine. But if you hunt around the kitchen and find something that is similar shaped as your water reservoir but a tad smaller, fill that with water and freeze it. Then you get a big block of ice that will just fit inside their water reservoir and will last much longer. Then just refill the container and pop it back in the freezer for the next day.

I had the same problem and got so fed up that I threw it away. Now I use waterer cups and Love them. They are connected to a 5 gallon bucket and makes watering a lot easier. I refill it from outside of the run.

I have the same problem with mine- and I have it hanging so I know it's level. I've cleaned it out so I know it's clean. I've carefully matched the openings so I know the "hole" for water is at it's maximum. I think it is some kind of design problem, but don't know how to modify it to get it to work right.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom