Sell homemade food items

arabianequine

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
Is there a place on line that you can sell food items?

I don't see any food items listed on etsy or ebay but maybe I am not looking in the right spot.

What type of things are you looking to sell? I know there are certainly people on etsy selling jams, jellies, biscotti, etc. There is at least one BYC'er who sells those things on etsy.

Fruit cake is what I am wanting to sell at this point. Not many like it but I still have some left and would like to not go to waste. I don't like it but know how to make it well and enjoy making it. It is time consuming and spendy ingredients. I gave some away already to a couple people here and family for the holidays. The family I make it for just loves it. One of the Bycers said him and his wife really liked it too....it had a fight going in a few min. of being in their house. He was just kidding but his wife did not want to share.

I thought people did sell stuff on there and I know who your talking about but could not find any food items under a search just dog treats.

Thank you noseychickens I did not see edibles.....so I will look again.

Be aware that selling homemade food products is probably a violation of a pile of health department codes. You do risk fines for doing so in most places. Health codes in the US are usually a county (or parish) level issue, so living outside town does not excuse you.

Plus, if someone claims they got sick from your food, you could risk a lawsuit.

Not saying don't do it, just be aware of the possible problems...

No ones gotten sick yet thankfully, not sure that much could go wrong with bread never any complaints yet....I am sure everything is a possibility.

So I set up my fruit cake on there not sure though how to do multiple items in the same auction. It says one auction but I said how many I had available in the auction. How do I do a banner? Is there anything I can do to promote my item to sell better.

Thanks for any advice.

arabianequine.etsy.com

I think that is my link to my auction above or my stuff.

Saw your listing and liked your shop.

One thing....you don't have anything in the shipping cost. If you are just giving these away free and having them pay shipping, you may want to put actual shipping cost in the shipping field and "sell" the fruit cake for a few bucks to pay the fees.

The last pic showing the cake from the side would be awesome if in better focus and maybe on a pretty plate.

smile.png

I "favorited" your shop.
smile.png

You can make a banner in Publisher or on mybannermaker.com

Here in WI you need to produce your items out of a certified kitchen, have the food inspector come in at least once a year and you need to take a food safety class.

Look into the laws in your area and Nation wide.

Quote:
Thank you, I had no idea what shipping would be so I just did not put anything in there. I am kinda torn to what to charge. Shipping was expensive to ship back east....it was $10 each plus I want $10 per cake....so I don't know what is best to put. I don't think anyone would want to pay that price. Maybe I guess it depends how bad they want it.
idunno.gif

Yes I think I need to work on some more pics....I should have at least cropped the background out of the other two too. I don't know why the one got blurry but I thought it was a bit too.

I will look at making a banner soon.

@ babylady4 I may look into it someday....at this point I don't plan on doing this all the time.

That is for anybody wishing to sell homemade foods from their house; even if it is only a part-time thing. Now if you are paid in 'donations' that is completely different.

I looked into it because I had a thought at one time of baking cakes etc. but the cost of set-up would have been huge. A seperate kitchen from the 'normal' kitchen was just too great an expense.

You should probably look into the fines the state can hit you with as well. Just so you can CYA and not get dinged.

Back
Top Bottom