Sell me on a bird

Poppy you should get quail! I've heard they are super easy and make great pets plus I'm sure @Patiocoturnix think the same!
Lots of people like Coturnix. I used to raise them. I currently have Bobwhites and Kings. The Bobwhites are great, but you can’t let them free range. King quail are just adorable due to their tiny size.

I suggest either turkeys or ducks. Pheasants and peafowl are a lot more to take care of and need large flight cages. One peafowl needs at least 12 feet all around for their tail to span, so a flock will need a lot more space. On pheasants, if they ever get out, consider them a loss because there will be no catching them ever again.

Ducks are very simple to raise and are excellent pets. As waterfowl, I suggest have a small pond or a kiddie pool for them. They need water that they can fully submerge their face in at all times to keep their nostrils clean.

Turkeys are great. They're very friendly and with the right ones, they’ll be an awesome pet. They are a bigger bird, so that should be taken into consideration. When getting turkeys, be very cautious that you don't accidentally get a meat breed.

I had both turkeys and ducks with my chickens, though I don't recommend it. With ducks, they can injure your hens by mating them. With turkeys, they could injure your birds by pecking them too hard and it's rumored that they'll spread disease to your chickens. (I don't believe the rumor as long as you don't get turkeys that are carrying diseases.)
Thank you, this is really helpful. I’m definitely leaning towards ducks, turkeys, and pigeons.

Can i ask whats a good drake to hen ratio for ducks?

I have found turkeys to be one of the most personable birds I have raised. But they are large and do need much more room than chickens. You can check on Blackhead in your area if present or not. If not, there are a few things that you should do to keep turkeys around your chickens but can easily be done.

Thank you, this is really helpful. I’m definitely leaning towards ducks, turkeys, and pigeons.

Can i ask whats a good drake to hen ratio for ducks?
You're welcome.

I'm not sure. I always kept two females to one drake and they did fine.
For a beginner, I suggest a gentle breed of duck, NOT Muscovies. I had a trio of Muscovies once and the drake has kept the record of the only bird I've ever been scared of. (He was wicked nasty and would go after anyone.) I had a Cayuga trio and they were awesome. I haven't tried out Runners yet, but if I ever get ducks again, I would love to have some of them.

You're welcome.

I'm not sure. I always kept two females to one drake and they did fine.
For a beginner, I suggest a gentle breed of duck, NOT Muscovies. I had a trio of Muscovies once and the drake has kept the record of the only bird I've ever been scared of. (He was wicked nasty and would go after anyone.) I had a Cayuga trio and they were awesome. I haven't tried out Runners yet, but if I ever get ducks again, I would love to have some of them.
Good to know! Cayuga ducks are really good looking, too. I’ll probably hold off on Muscovies, i’d like a easier breed to start off with.

Back
Top Bottom