Sell me on a bird

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Once i upgrade the coops, i’m going to get more birds. Now just gotta decide which. So what do you think? Turkeys, ducks, pheasants, peacocks? And why do you think that?

Peacocks need a ton of space and are super loud, also like to wander off property; ducks need the least amount of space. Turkeys are cleaner than ducks. No idea about pheasants.
How much space would peacocks need? Would Turkeys spread a disease to my chickens? I wouldn’t keep them together, just wondering if it’s dangerous to keep them nearby.

How much space would peacocks need? Would Turkeys spread a disease to my chickens? I wouldn’t keep them together, just wondering if it’s dangerous to keep them nearby.
No turkeys won't spread anything to your chickens. I raise turkeys, & chickens together. If anything, it would probably be a respiratory illness if they don't come a hatchery, or Disease free flocks.

I suggest either turkeys or ducks. Pheasants and peafowl are a lot more to take care of and need large flight cages. One peafowl needs at least 12 feet all around for their tail to span, so a flock will need a lot more space. On pheasants, if they ever get out, consider them a loss because there will be no catching them ever again.

Ducks are very simple to raise and are excellent pets. As waterfowl, I suggest have a small pond or a kiddie pool for them. They need water that they can fully submerge their face in at all times to keep their nostrils clean.

Turkeys are great. They're very friendly and with the right ones, they’ll be an awesome pet. They are a bigger bird, so that should be taken into consideration. When getting turkeys, be very cautious that you don't accidentally get a meat breed.

I had both turkeys and ducks with my chickens, though I don't recommend it. With ducks, they can injure your hens by mating them. With turkeys, they could injure your birds by pecking them too hard and it's rumored that they'll spread disease to your chickens. (I don't believe the rumor as long as you don't get turkeys that are carrying diseases.)

Plan on 150 sq ft per bird in your run, more if you can afford it. They tend to multiply so make the run as large as you can afford or plan to add on later. Blues need some shelter from the cold and wet wind and flat wood roosts to protect their toes. If they get too cold they will leave the roosts for the ground so make sure you have some bedding in the coop or risk frost bite.
This is a post from someone experienced in peafowl. They like to roost pretty high up from what I know. I would check out the peafowl forums for more info.
Turkeys can sometimes spread a particular disease to chickens, I think blackhead something rather, but its a lot rarer than you'd think.

I’ve never had issues raising my turkeys and chickens together. Turkeys are much easier to care for than pheasants. I had ringneck and goldens. They were flighty… especially the ringnecks. Please let us know which one you choose! 🙂

The chickens would be more likely to give your turkeys a disease as chicken are carriers of some that doesn't harm them but would kill your turkeys.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom