Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
I haven’t eaten breakfast yet and that duck looks g-o-o-d! I’ve never eaten duck so I haven’t a clue if I’d like it or not. But based on your pic, I’d love it! 😂
Duck is good if prepared and cooked properly. My favorite is a Teal or a Canvasback.

I swore years ago I’d never do a hatchery after seeing so many heart breaking stories here about dead chicks and ducklings then last year I wanted Fawn an white Runners so I ordered 3 they sent 4, 2 died of shipping stress I Will never buy shipped again. It’s just not worth the heartbreak. Knowing what those little ones go through.
I have only had chicks shipped twice, both with good results, so I don’t have that horror feeling yet. It’ll only be a matter of time though if I continue.

But when you look at my track record with chicks purchased at TSC and hatched here at home, I am a LOSER!
  • Four Naked Necks purchased at TSC - only one pullet
  • Eight eggs incubated - only one pullet
  • Pullet to cockerel ratio - 2:10
  • My odds suck
  • My broody did raise 3 pullets. I guess I need to give her credit, huh?
  • So that puts me at a very bland 50% 😏

I swore years ago I’d never do a hatchery after seeing so many heart breaking stories here about dead chicks and ducklings then last year I wanted Fawn an white Runners so I ordered 3 they sent 4, 2 died of shipping stress I Will never buy shipped again. It’s just not worth the heartbreak. Knowing what those little ones go through.

Exactly

There is only so much stress one little duckling can take.

I have only had chicks shipped twice, both with good results, so I don’t have that horror feeling yet. It’ll only be a matter of time though if I continue.

But when you look at my track record with chicks purchased at TSC and hatched here at home, I am a LOSER!
  • Four Naked Necks purchased at TSC - only one pullet
  • Eight eggs incubated - only one pullet
  • Pullet to cockerel ratio - 2:10
  • My odds suck
  • My broody did raise 3 pullets. I guess I need to give her credit, huh?
  • So that puts me at a very bland 50% 😏

Better than me!

I get around 80% Males each time i buy from TSC.

@FathertoFeathers feathers
please tell us about your Runners.
Ive had two runners before and both have sadly passed recently. But they're hands down my favorite breed. They were awesome foragers eating all the ticks, mosquitos, flys, caterpillars and all sorts of other bugs. In the time I had them I could walk outside and spend all day out there only getting about 5 bug bites. They would constantly play with each other almost like games of tag. One would come and gently nip the others tail and run off and then the other would chase after her doing the same thing and they would go back and forth like that for awhile. One of my runners would bolt over to me as fast as she possibly could whenever I went to the garden because she new I would give her all the pests I found on my plants. She would get so excited shed slap her feet on the ground just like thumper from Bambi! My other runner was the most sassy little bird I've ever had. Whenever id go out to put them away at night i'd yell "come on ladies its time for bed!" Only to have her stop whatever she was doing turn around and proceed to quack at me the whole time. It was like she was saying "Im not ready for bed! Its not even dark yet! Dad! can I please stay up for a little longer?" Those two were awesome ducks and they'll always have a special place in my heart.

Khaki campbells, if your used to the egg production of chickens , these ducks will suprise you. They dont rear their own baboes well but they lay eggs so fast it seems almost not posible.
On the other hand you have chickens and rousters im asuming so you need something that wont get beat up , Muscovy are ideal coup mates for chicken.
Yes, and then there are the eggs! I have customers for some of my chicken eggs, but I give most away. (I need to set up a roadside stand.) I have never eaten a duck egg and don’t know if anyone in my little circle would even be interested.

I do have one rooster that is just about as easy going as I could ask for. Between all my dogs and cats and me always tinkering in some form or fashion (sawing, drilling, hammering, dragging this, flapping that), Rusty has never minded anything. He’s a staunch watcher of the skies though.

Most likely I will give the little duck loves their own safe place, but we will have to see. I don’t want to cause problems for any of my birds. My goal is happy and healthy birds...ones that I can love on whenever I want. ;)

Yes, and then there are the eggs! I have customers for some of my chicken eggs, but I give most away. (I need to set up a roadside stand.) I have never eaten a duck egg and don’t know if anyone in my little circle would even be interested.

I do have one rooster that is just about as easy going as I could ask for. Between all my dogs and cats and me always tinkering in some form or fashion (sawing, drilling, hammering, dragging this, flapping that), Rusty has never minded anything. He’s a staunch watcher of the skies though.

Most likely I will give the little duck loves their own safe place, but we will have to see. I don’t want to cause problems for any of my birds. My goal is happy and healthy birds...ones that I can love on whenever I want. ;)
Duck eggs are far better for you and taste far better , my customers get upset i cant keep up with the demand niw that i gave away a few dozen to...prime the market trust me u try ducks eggs for baking or omelets and you wont go back.

Back
Top Bottom