Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics

Mimi13

fuhgettaboutit
Jan 6, 2018
Centre, AL
I have had chickens now for four years and absolutely love them and I am now ready to delve into the duck world.

I need you die hard duckers to sell me on the breeds.

Of course I have been feverishly reading everything I can about ducks and have come up on more than one conflicting subject, particularly concerning to me are feed and breed gentleness. I do have several breeds in mind already, but I would like to hear what long-time duck lovers have to say.

A little about my poultry husbandry. (So you can help me decide on the best breed(s)).

I have 24 hens, 12 pullets and one rooster. (He is the light of my life.) They are housed securely in two coops and adjoining run until I release them each morning where they have run of the yard and barnyard until roosting time.

There are predators around. I have personally seen/heard coyotes, possums, hawks and owls, but I’m sure there are others. I do have two outside dogs, one that is a GS/GP mix and doing a fabulous job patrolling the property. Our pastures are not completely fenced with field fence (some barbed wire), but our 4 acre yard is completely fenced with field fence.

My main predator concern is the infamous hawk. They are here, unfortunately. I have been very fortunate to have only had ONE encounter with a hawk in four years. He must have been a juvenile and thankfully only posed a scare to my big bottomed Cochin. No punctures, just a few loose feathers. There are plenty of tree lines, bushes and buildings (barn, sheds, coops and run) for my chickens to hide and I will surmise they have used them wisely.

We have six horses and I have been known to shoot bottle rockets to ward off the occasional neighboring dog that finds his way into our pastures, which may or may not be helpful keeping the aerial predators at bay. ;) No scientific data there.:lau

I do have three barn cats that seemingly have gotten along well with the chickens, as long as you don’t count the time Tiger Lily was accidentally closed in the run one night. Let’s just say both birds and cat were horrifically surprised that next morning when the pop door opened. I don’t think Tiger Lily has gone anywhere around the run since. :gig

Also, even with the dogs and cats, I have been successful at raising several clutches, both broody and bator chicks, in my coop/run and then out into the yard between 2-4 weeks old. (The broody took hers out sooner than I took the bator chicks out.)

I feed Purina Flock Raiser w/oyster shell on the side and have sand in my coops and shavings, leaves, etc. on the run floor.

My ducks will be housed separately from the chickens, with their own house and fenced and covered run with a small pond. I do realize that my ducks most likely will not be successful free ranging in my yard like my chickens have been. I just don’t see them as being as predator and escape savvy as chickens. :confused: But I could be wrong, IDK. It is my intention to let the ducks out of their run only when I am out working in the yard/garden. I do want them to be able to dabble around for greens and grubs regularly.

I am not concerned with copious amounts of duck eggs or succulent meat. I only want ducks for pets, for myself and my grandson. Well, and for the duck poo water for my garden. Many of my chickens are nothing more than big pets and then some just prefer to be left alone.

I want no more than 4 ducklings (3 really, but I didn’t want the possibility of 2 picking on 1). Preferably all females...a drake maybe at a later time.

It was my hope that I’d be able to feed them all FR, but I’m not sure that is best for the ducks. Supposedly they need lower protein and higher niacin than FR provides, but could that be only in the early stages?

Please, please let me pick your collective brains on my new adventure. And also please add anything that I need to know that I might not have mentioned.

Thank you all so much for your advice, knowledge and wisdom...and more importantly, for your willingness to share.

BYC is the best site, bar none!

they are a little more "child friendly" due to their mating style
Hahaha! I know we’ve all seen this sign. Luckily, my grandson just laughs. He doesn’t really know! ;)
331D5D74-D277-49C5-8B48-A1BA692DE870.jpeg

Also, you can feed FR. I do and it's totally fine. From hatch on. Check the milk dates on it, I just found that out the hard way. I really like calls. They're so cute and little. Their faces are so cute. Anconas are cool too though. I like the patches on them.

I'll second Calls. In my limited experience, they're not too hard to keep grounded by clipping their wings, & they don't seem too motivated to get out of pens. I have 4.5' fencing that I haven't had issues with. They are a lot less messy than their larger counterparts, quite cute, and make good pets. The bird in my avatar is a Snowy Call drake. Plus, did I mention how stinkin' cute they are?

I have had many different duck breeds, but i will always love my Call duck's the most. They are Cute, Hilarious, Inexpensive to Feed, Maintenance Free and good flyers(Could be good or bad).
Initially I had voted against a flier, simply because we have two big ponds in our front pasture with visiting ducks, geese, and egrets. I don’t want them fraternizing and potentially flying away.

However, a flying duck could potentially evade a ground predator. But I do plan on keeping them penned, with cover, so a flying duck could potentially be a PITA for me when trying to catch it in the pen, right?

They are incredibly and irresistibly cute so I will put it on my short list. ;)

Thank you for replying.

Back
Top Bottom