Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Initially I had voted against a flier, simply because we have two big ponds in our front pasture with visiting ducks, geese, and egrets. I don’t want them fraternizing and potentially flying away.

However, a flying duck could potentially evade a ground predator. But I do plan on keeping them penned, with cover, so a flying duck could potentially be a PITA for me when trying to catch it in the pen, right?

They are incredibly and irresistibly cute so I will put it on my short list. ;)

Thank you for replying.

My calls are free-ranged, So I do lose one every year to predators, but that's usually a given with most duck breeds. Call ducks wing can be clipped, but if left to free-range they will be very prone to predators. They are extremely good duck's to have around kids too.

I'll second Calls. In my limited experience, they're not too hard to keep grounded by clipping their wings, & they don't seem too motivated to get out of pens. I have 4.5' fencing that I haven't had issues with. They are a lot less messy than their larger counterparts, quite cute, and make good pets. The bird in my avatar is a Snowy Call drake. Plus, did I mention how stinkin' cute they are?
How many types of call ducks are there?

I think Peking ducks would be best for your needs. They are cute, not super skittish, they don't lay too many eggs, they are not very broody and the ducklings are adorable.
And the “not very broody” has peaked my interest. I have several broody hens and I’m not necessarily keen on broody breaking ducks too.

Back
Top Bottom