Sell Me On A Duck Breed

<Pekins> are definitely more interactive but there are also a lot of other issues which I have learned.
This is the kind of stuff I want y’all to tell me. BYC is like an “insiders’ club,” where you learn about all the idiosyncrasies the hatcheries and breeders might not tell about a breed, or poultry in general.
Pekins are still one of my favorites but they can require more in terms of their health.
Could you elaborate on these particular problems?
1F6A4DB9-B9BA-44C4-BFE0-FA7630F39FC7.gif

This is the kind of stuff I want y’all to tell me. BYC is like an “insiders’ club,” where you learn about all the idiosyncrasies the hatcheries and breeders might not tell about a breed, or poultry in general.
Could you elaborate on these particular problems?View attachment 2034773

All of my Pekins around age 2-3 develop serious leg problems due to there size and rapidly decline, They are a great breed to have just don't expect them to live as long as other breeds.

Appleyard hens are nice as just background noise. They are easy. I raise Call so absolutely love them too. Just need a run with a roof.
Silver Appleyard was another breed on my want list.

So, you have SA and Calls. Do they live together - ducks only, or with chickens too? Are they penned 24/7 or do they free range all or some of the time?

Back
Top Bottom