Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
So no one has addressed the Saxony and I want to know why. They seem to fit the ticket for me, but maybe not, but why? :hit
i have a big saxony and i love him hes such a good boy
20200217_114023.jpg
20200213_182057.jpg

Also, just a few more questions on ducks, period - any breed:
  • I use Purina Flock Raiser
  • Do I adjust their feed in the early days, or not?
  • Added Niacin?
  • Less protein?
  • Do I need to look for feed made specifically for ducklings?
lots of folks feed ducks flock raiser

As with any laying hen they should have oyster shell (When they start laying)

Duck Starter Crumbles are what folks start ducklings out on for 5-6 weeks, it costs the same as regular feed here

Lots of people add niacin in the form of B complex that you get at the feed store. i do it too

:)

Also, just a few more questions on ducks, period - any breed:
  • I use Purina Flock Raiser
  • Do I adjust their feed in the early days, or not?
  • Added Niacin?
  • Less protein?
  • Do I need to look for feed made specifically for ducklings?
Purinia flock raiser should be fine from the beginning and going forward.
Yes, I know the protein level is a bit higher than what's typically recommend for adult ducks. But around here there aren't too many good choices without sacrificing other nutrients. The feed I use is 20% no issues that I know of from feed.

Another question. Would it be better to stick with 4 ducks of only ONE breed or will I be okay getting FOUR different breeds?
ive always had mixed breeds and they all love each other
if you are getting a male then you want to avoid having a HUGE male and tiny hen because they get on top of each other to mate and it gets rough

Another question. Would it be better to stick with 4 ducks of only ONE breed or will I be okay getting FOUR different breeds?
I think basically you want to consider the size. For example you wouldn't want a tiny call hen getting trampled by a big fat butt Pekin drake.
And you wouldn't want to have a lonely muscovy with regular quackers. . since they speak a different language.

Back
Top Bottom