Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
Okay folks, the verdict is in and the order has been placed.

Don’t look, Ralphie, don’t look! ;) Turn away now!

I ordered from Metzer. Never have before. Here’s hoping to smooth and trouble free travels, little duckies! :fl

I wound up ordering SIX. :eek: No one knows that yet, other than y’all and myself.

Here’s the order:View attachment 2036861

They are to ship on March 30th. :weeIt won’t be long?

As you can see I did not order any Muscovies. They are very interesting to me though so I might order them later (in a year or so).

Also, I didn’t order a drake. I’m still on the fence about that. If you think I should get one, please let me know which breed. I should be able to add one to my order without much of a problem.

I had to go ahead and place my order because my little carton of eggs that I intended on incubating have been staring a hole through me every time I walked by them. They would all be mutt chicks, but beautiful just the same.

Here they all are, minus the two brown on the right. I had just taken this picture this morning for color comparison of my BCMs.
View attachment 2036864

You never know, I might still do it. If I set them today, I most likely would already have them out in the coop before my duckies got here. I do have several heat plates, and enough feeders and waters, but I’d have to come up with another brooder container. Oh, decisions, decisions.

BUT, and this is a big but, I would have to process some of my older girls for room. Of course the excess cockerels would be processed. I don’t know that I’m quite up for that right now. Or I guess I could sell some, but I’m not too keen on that either.

There’s no way I could build two new houses, a duck house and another coop. My DH would definitely have me committed...just for mentioning it.

Anyway, does anyone have a drake suggestion? :thumbsup
When will your spouse become aware of this order?

When will your spouse become aware of this order?
Hmmm, probably a day or two before they arrive...when I set up the brooder!

OR, if I go ahead with my plan of setting the chicken eggs, he quite possibly wouldn’t find out until he notices the “peeping” has changed a little bit after I swap them out. :eek: But then again, he’s not the most observant creature on earth! Oh wait, did I just describe most males?:frow

So, my new babies are gonna be:
  • A White Layer (my grandson will think she’s Aflac ;) ),
  • a Buff (to match my sweet little Buff Orpington chickens),
  • a Saxony (just because they are supposed to be so darn sweet),
  • a Welsh Harlequin (I think they are gorgeous and probably will be my favorite),
  • a Fawn & White Runner (because so many BYCers said so), and
  • a Chocolate Runner (because the other Runner needs a duck she can look eye to eye with - and because I like chocolate!)
Muscovies and Calls really peak my interest. I think after I have my duck yard set up like I want it I will spread my love to a few more ducks, and thin out my chickens.

• a Welsh Harlequin (I think they are gorgeous and probably will be my favorite),
  • a Chocolate Runner (because the other Runner needs a duck she can look eye to eye with - and because I like chocolate!)
Muscovies and Calls really peak my interest. I think after I have my duck yard set up like I want it I will spread my love to a few more ducks, and thin out my chickens.
What are the last 7 digits of your spouses phone number again??

Now that the babies are ordered I must turn my attention to a proper duck house.

I like the looks that rough cut wood produces. Both my big coop and little coop are constructed of rough cut from a sawmill down the road. Love it, love it. I did incorporate rusted tin around the bottom of my big coop.

Do any of y’all have pictures or sites you could point me to that fall into this “rugged” category?

Time’s a wastin’! I must get to going.

Good picks!

I don't think you will regret getting them, they sure are the barnyard clowns.

You will love your runners!!!! They are our favorite breed!!! Ours would try to crawl up in our laps . And followed us everywhere. We are just getting started back with ducks. Had to take a break because of our setup.
but i have an incubator full of runner duck eggs from metzer. they are such active entertaining ducks!
I can’t wait. Thank you.

I can’t wait. Thank you.
1582831807377.gif

I know the feeling... you know it’s going to happen just not sure when....

Back
Top Bottom