Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
I think it varies with ducks, but for the most part yes, they can see in the dark and will be awake during the nighttime hours. Most people (Including me) feed there ducks/chickens an All flock feed or Purina Flock Raiser, I would think you could mix brewers yeast with normal layer feed to give the duck's there needed niacin, and it would be pretty hard to overdose chickens on vitamin B if you are giving the ducks the correct dosage the chickens will be fine.

What're the dimensions of the Stock tank? Ducks are unbelievably fast growers and will outgrow most brooders fast, I use Kiddie pools and they have always worked very well for me. I would not feed my ducks a 30% Protein feed.
I use FlockRaiser so maybe it will work out if, IF, I sprinkle the brewers yeast on the ducks’ food first thing each morning...as long as they have their own run.

That’s where I’m stuck though. I want to house them together if possible since I have a nice coop and run, but......

I’m gonna go ahead and build them their own house. Nothing more than a 4x4 old fashioned dog house with a porch, similar to this one I put together for Tuff, our old catahoula. The chickens usually run him out, but they chose to sun on the porch this morning since they haven’t seen the sun in weeks. I’ve still gotta finish the roof tin.
C51C2B56-56BF-481A-B60B-A952FC84BD31.jpeg

Even though everything I’ve read says the ducks usually won’t lay in the house or sleep in it so I’m not sure why I’m gonna build one. I should just put a crude box in the chicken run and be done with it.

The bottom measurements of the tank yield 1.25 sqft per duckling. I had only planned on leaving them in there for 2 weeks. If it appears that will not last that long, they will be going into the chicken run sooner than I had planned.

Thank you for your thoughts on all this.

Real game birds like turkeys need that much protein.

Especially when young or breeding...

I could make a dux feeding suggestion....but alas they are always misconstrued..

Nice to see you again, Mimi

and most people over think livestock. Their needs are not much different than people’s needs..

And I am glad to see you reading a label. I always check them before buying a new product, not that I understand all the big words...
It’s nice to be back, Ralphie. Thanks!

Yes, I was taken back a bit when the manager recommended that feed. It is unfortunate that the ordinary consumer cannot depend on answers given by store employees. I mean, I wouldn’t think I could go to a financial advisor and them not know the correct answers to my questions. I know, I’m comparing apples to oranges, but still.

Then again, that is what BYC is for, right? Correct answers...even if you have to filter through them sometimes. 😜

Yeah, yeah, I’m sure your feeding suggestion for a duck would be the equivalent of mine for a Norwegian rat. 🤣

Up until a few weeks ago I would have told you how well my chickens and ducks do together, but lately I have been having some problems. Usually the ducks will just pull some butt feathers on the chickens for fun, but lately the drake has been getting territorial about his barn. I have a cuckoo Maran and leghorn that are committed to laying their eggs in the duck nest. The drake doesn’t like this and has grabbed them by the next and shaken them pretty hard. I have had to break it up.... and of course the chickens won’t get the message and stop....
Well, for right now I will not have a drake. :fl Dependent on the 90-95% rule, that is. This whole thing is gonna have to play out by ear I think.

The dux started it!!!
Yeah, I figured as much! Dang ducks. :gig

And then again my chickens and ducks sleep in the same coop chickens up high ducks on the floor except for my Muscovy they share a roost with my old rooster who they are scared of and who ever his main girl is for the week.
This is what I’d prefer, but there would be no munchies or adult beverages in the coop for the ducks’ midnight parties. ;)

I use FlockRaiser so maybe it will work out if, IF, I sprinkle the brewers yeast on the ducks’ food first thing each morning...as long as they have their own run.

That’s where I’m stuck though. I want to house them together if possible since I have a nice coop and run, but......

I’m gonna go ahead and build them their own house. Nothing more than a 4x4 old fashioned dog house with a porch, similar to this one I put together for Tuff, our old catahoula. The chickens usually run him out, but they chose to sun on the porch this morning since they haven’t seen the sun in weeks. I’ve still gotta finish the roof tin.
View attachment 2043912

Even though everything I’ve read says the ducks usually won’t lay in the house or sleep in it so I’m not sure why I’m gonna build one. I should just put a crude box in the chicken run and be done with it.

The bottom measurements of the tank yield 1.25 sqft per duckling. I had only planned on leaving them in there for 2 weeks. If it appears that will not last that long, they will be going into the chicken run sooner than I had planned.

Thank you for your thoughts on all this.
Ducks will have to be trained / bribed with mealworms or peas to sleep in a house at night.
If your run is not made from hardware cloth you are going to want to lock them up in a house at night are you will have predator losses. Ducks are kind of stupid about sleeping right next to the fence where something can just reach through and snatch their head off.

Oh and ducks can see in the dark. But I do not think they see very well. if I wait too long and let it get too dark before I go to put them up at night they really freaked out over every little movement. they act like they can't really see what's going on or where the door is.

Back
Top Bottom