Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
Good grief!!! - For real?!?
1583040512948.png

One hundred trillion dollars!

Between reading and learning more about ducks and tearing down an old dog kennel, I have been busy! Working mostly in the rain, I have torn down an old kennel and some of a rotted, insulated dog house, which is a freaking disaster to clean up. This has left me worn to a frazzle at night and not feeling like chatting much...and I’ve missed it.

Y’all, I obviously am way overthinking this whole duck thing...their feed, their housing, free range or confinement.........!

I’ve been reading TOO much, if that’s even a possibility!

BTW, can ducks see in the dark?

If ducks party all night long, I can’t possibly put them in the coop with my chickens! They need their beauty sleep.

And how can I keep them with my chickens when the food they eat is different?

Will my chickens be harmed if they ingest too much niacin, via Brewers Yeast?

None of the TSC’s in a 50 mile radius of my home carry the Purina Duck Feed (pellets) in anything other than a 5 lb. bag. After talking to the manager about ordering the large bags online to be delivered to the store, I found out I had absolutely no control over the milled date of the feed. Not a good thing. He then told me that people use the Purina Game Bird Chow for all their birds, ducks included. Really?!?
9659C962-3867-46C0-9083-09A3EEC71F46.jpeg

Please tell me this is not correct! The protein percentage is a whopping 30% and niacin is not included in the guaranteed analysis. It is included in the ingredient listing as “niacin supplement,” but how much is that? Probably not enough.
C515AF99-FDF5-4563-8AAE-036964437392.jpeg

See why I’m going nuts about this! Yes, I am a definite worrier and obvious over thinker! :barnie It can’t be this difficult! It just can’t be!

With all this uncertainty, how in the world am I gonna successfully keep ducks?

I have only ever brooded the dry, dusty chick, so I am now learning all things wet and ducky. I am in the process of gathering all the things I need to put together my duckie brooder. My plans are to use a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank as the brooder and then put it into the yard as a duck water source. I am installing a shower drain in the bottom of the tank, which will also drain the excess water from the brooder waterer. :fl That’s what is intended anyway.

I have three whole days of SUNSHINE, starting today, and I’ve got so much to do. I must get all the fence lines sprayed this weekend. All this excess rain has definitely been a detriment to me. But I will regroup!

I think it varies with ducks, but for the most part yes, they can see in the dark and will be awake during the nighttime hours. Most people (Including me) feed there ducks/chickens an All flock feed or Purina Flock Raiser, I would think you could mix brewers yeast with normal layer feed to give the duck's there needed niacin, and it would be pretty hard to overdose chickens on vitamin B if you are giving the ducks the correct dosage the chickens will be fine.

What're the dimensions of the Stock tank? Ducks are unbelievably fast growers and will outgrow most brooders fast, I use Kiddie pools and they have always worked very well for me. I would not feed my ducks a 30% Protein feed.

Between reading and learning more about ducks and tearing down an old dog kennel, I have been busy! Working mostly in the rain, I have torn down an old kennel and some of a rotted, insulated dog house, which is a freaking disaster to clean up. This has left me worn to a frazzle at night and not feeling like chatting much...and I’ve missed it.

Y’all, I obviously am way overthinking this whole duck thing...their feed, their housing, free range or confinement.........!

I’ve been reading TOO much, if that’s even a possibility!

BTW, can ducks see in the dark?

If ducks party all night long, I can’t possibly put them in the coop with my chickens! They need their beauty sleep.

And how can I keep them with my chickens when the food they eat is different?

Will my chickens be harmed if they ingest too much niacin, via Brewers Yeast?

None of the TSC’s in a 50 mile radius of my home carry the Purina Duck Feed (pellets) in anything other than a 5 lb. bag. After talking to the manager about ordering the large bags online to be delivered to the store, I found out I had absolutely no control over the milled date of the feed. Not a good thing. He then told me that people use the Purina Game Bird Chow for all their birds, ducks included. Really?!?View attachment 2043546

Please tell me this is not correct! The protein percentage is a whopping 30% and niacin is not included in the guaranteed analysis. It is included in the ingredient listing as “niacin supplement,” but how much is that? Probably not enough.
View attachment 2043547

See why I’m going nuts about this! Yes, I am a definite worrier and obvious over thinker! :barnie It can’t be this difficult! It just can’t be!

With all this uncertainty, how in the world am I gonna successfully keep ducks?

I have only ever brooded the dry, dusty chick, so I am now learning all things wet and ducky. I am in the process of gathering all the things I need to put together my duckie brooder. My plans are to use a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank as the brooder and then put it into the yard as a duck water source. I am installing a shower drain in the bottom of the tank, which will also drain the excess water from the brooder waterer. :fl That’s what is intended anyway.

I have three whole days of SUNSHINE, starting today, and I’ve got so much to do. I must get all the fence lines sprayed this weekend. All this excess rain has definitely been a detriment to me. But I will regroup!

Real game birds like turkeys need that much protein.

Especially when young or breeding...

I could make a dux feeding suggestion....but alas they are always misconstrued..

Nice to see you again, Mimi

and most people over think livestock. Their needs are not much different than people’s needs..

And I am glad to see you reading a label. I always check them before buying a new product, not that I understand all the big words...

Does anyone have a video of their chickens and ducks intermingling? I would find this interesting and would love to see it.

At my home it would be ideal if all the chickens and ducks could run together. Not necessarily sleep together, as I would provide a duck house in addition to my coop, unless they choose to do so.

I would like for the “duck pond” to be connected to another small pond by way of an overflow stream that would be pumped back up to the duck pond. My back yard has a 25-40 degree slope across its width and it would be perfect for a “lazy stream” to run through it, even a small one. By setting this up all of my animals would benefit. Not the horses, just the dogs, cats, ducks and chickens.

My chickens loooove to stand in water. It gets pretty dang warm here in central Alabama so I put out water-filled black mortar tubs with a few fire bricks in each for the chickens to stand in and cool off. Funny thing is, the silly birds use them all year round.

And then, some of my dogs not only drink the water, but love to lay/play in it as well (mostly to cool off though.) So for that, they have their own doggie pool. I take a couple of them to the ponds occasionally and they will swim themselves slap silly!

I would love to be able to incorporate the water for the ducks into something that would satisfy all the backyard animals and myself as well. I am a water person and love it in any form. I have always water in some form or other in the back yard. :love
Up until a few weeks ago I would have told you how well my chickens and ducks do together, but lately I have been having some problems. Usually the ducks will just pull some butt feathers on the chickens for fun, but lately the drake has been getting territorial about his barn. I have a cuckoo Maran and leghorn that are committed to laying their eggs in the duck nest. The drake doesn’t like this and has grabbed them by the next and shaken them pretty hard. I have had to break it up.... and of course the chickens won’t get the message and stop....

Up until a few weeks ago I would have told you how well my chickens and ducks do together, but lately I have been having some problems. Usually the ducks will just pull some butt feathers on the chickens for fun, but lately the drake has been getting territorial about his barn. I have a cuckoo Maran and leghorn that are committed to laying their eggs in the duck nest. The drake doesn’t like this and has grabbed them by the next and shaken them pretty hard. I have had to break it up.... and of course the chickens won’t get the message and stop....
The dux started it!!!

Back
Top Bottom