Selling 23 week old chickens for profit- is there a market?

The rest of Kansas may be ag-centered and full of cheaper birds, but the gas money I would spend to get them would quickly make them even pricier. Lol! Here in the urban corner where there are only a handful of scattered legal chicken owning cities, laying birds for sale are few and far between. :)

Seriously, I am absolutely CRAZY about chickens. Whenever I think about another plan for chickens, it is all I can think about for weeks.
big_smile.png
If you are serious and have a lot of wonderful knowledge and can teach, then how about doing "Intro to Backyard Chicken" class that includes hands on classes, sort of like beekeeping classes.

If you are serious and have a lot of wonderful knowledge and can teach, then how about doing "Intro to Backyard Chicken" class that includes hands on classes, sort of like beekeeping classes.

I wil keep that in mind, thanks! I have been giving small bits of information, not sure if I could do something like that.
hmm.png

So I should seperate my flock, keep the chickens purebred, and keep their feed good?
If you really want to raise and sell chickens you may want to start with an interesting but not usually available breed that is not usually found locally or even in hatcheries. (Thinking maybe fancy bantams would do well here?)
I know our local hatchery sells POL birds in several breeds for much less than I can raise mine for. Plus I have some breeds and interesting mixes bred specifically for egg color not found in hatcheries. But then mine have the best of everything while hatcheries can do it in bulk and at wholesale prices.
I can truthfully and jokingly say chickens are a money pit into which I invest my own money.

Well, I was thinking a cold-hardy breed because here in Canada sometimes in the winter it gets down to -35/40, and something like chantcelers might be okay for me. Your suggestions?

Ameraucana. Pea Combs for cold climate. Good demand for them. A couple different varieties to choose from. Good ones are hard to come by, the market is filled with fake Ameraucana falsely sold as such, and as a result people will really want good Ameraucana chicks. I don't know about making money, but you may be able to break even.

I am more interested in the chickens, not the money. I just don't want to LOSE money. I have a job, so this is not my income, I was just hoping for a little profit. I will look into Ameracanas. Not to be mixed up with Auricanas/easter eggers, or are they the same thing?

I am more interested in the chickens, not the money. I just don't want to LOSE money. I have a job, so this is not my income, I was just hoping for a little profit. I will look into Ameracanas. Not to be mixed up with Auricanas/easter eggers, or are they the same thing?

Araucanas and Ameraucanas are two separate breeds. Easter Eggers are not an actual breed but rather a term for any mixed breed who lays a blue or green egg.

Back
Top Bottom