Selling a few eggs... a bit of a rant

I too that it great idea to sell eggs here on the farm... Put my sign out and was doing fine. Went to town one day and my 2 teenage sons were home alone.
When returned home they were scared to death!
They did not answer door when a man had showed up to get eggs and he just went out to barn and proceeded to gather them himself... Stealing in broad daylight!
Just got to be careful who or what you let in on your property.... I took the signs down ad have not sold since....

I sometimes give extra eggs away over the winter and before Market starts but I always tell people that once that happens, all of my eggs go to market.

I keep buying chickens and I still can't keep up with the requests and we sell them for $4 a dozen! I sell smalls as 'samples', 6 for $1.50 but the pullets are starting to lay larger eggs so the samples days are almost over.

Reading your experience makes me grateful for my customers they are so understanding about it. They know that I have no control over how many eggs my hens lay a week. When they heard about the cost of feed, they encouraged me to raise the cost per dozen.

Early in the season, we give away our small eggs but even those are being snapped up. Ironically, now we only give away our jumbos. We have a older couple who have always been so grateful for the small eggs, now I save the ones too big to fit in the box for them. Once in a while we'll come home to a surprise bag of feed on the porch or some money tucked in a carton. That type of 'free' customer knows how to stay on my good side.

Hopefully, your pain in the neck will lose interest soon and you won't have to deal with them.

Interesting thread, I am curious what you ladies charge per dozen? Does it differ from white eggs to brown eggs?

Thanks

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

this one lady that i sell my eggs to is very picky...my chickens are all pretty young so the eggs arent the biggest in the world..so every time she buys my eggs she always complains about the size..i have told her that they would get bigger but she just wont listen.... i am so close to just telling her to take her buisness to the grocery store...but i wont

Quote:
Why not?

I have a business that sells a product that I developed. For the first couple of years, I was just grateful to anyone who would buy and bent over backward to do whatever was required to keep problem customers. I finally realized that the more I did for those problem customers, the more they complained to other potential customers. It was kind of horrible. I could only conclude that, by doing whatever these people demanded, they decided that I was admitting that I was somehow "wrong". So I developed the attitude that this was what I sold and if they didn't like it, they could go elsewhere. Things went much more smoothly after that - and all of those people are still my customers. They just don't whine now.

My neighbors don't seem to notice a difference between my eggs..laid by hens who free range all day in over a quarter acre of very rich pasture, hens who regularly eat fruit and vegetables. Or Costco eggs!

Back
Top Bottom