Selling and Biosecurity

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jenkassai, Dec 5, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    I am considering selling a few of my pullets. I haven't decided for sure yet, but I want to add a few more chicks in the spring, and hubby I think wants me to get rid of a few I have now, not sure why, it's not like 3 more make a difference when you have 10 now [​IMG] And one time when I said I might sell one he said "But you will be selling her to her death!" [​IMG] Helloooo...some people want POL pullets because they are ready to lay!! Anyways...to humor him I am looking into the possibility of selling one or two of the pullets I have now. My question is, what about biosecurity issues? No one that has chickens or any other birds for that matter have ever visited my hens, and I know that I need to be very careful about someone who DOES have poultry or birds bringing some disease or whatever here on their unsuspecting person. For those of you that sell adult birds, how do you do it? Is it customary for the purchaser to want to look at the chickens before purchase? If I did it, I was probably just going to put an ad on CL, they are hatchery chicks, it's not like I got them from a breeder.

Thanks!

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Some want to see them some dont if you take good pictures. I usually have a good enough price that they sell. I have never had anyone show up and not leave with at least one. Truthfully ive never giving bio security any thoughts. I have several people a week(sometimes) in and off this farm and havent had any issues. If your concerned I would have them wear garbage bags over their feet while they are walking around/in your coop.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you're going to sell specific chickens, you could cage them and have them looked at near your driveway. That would keep the people from needing to enter your coop or run. Otherwise, you can have them wear shoe covers.

4. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Quote:thats a real good idea. its would also keep people from seeing what youve got.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    No one ever walks through the gate into the yard. We did before, but no longer because of bio security. Take good photos of the birds for sale, list their breed and age and if laying yet. Then invest in a couple of wire dog crates to use as holding pens for potential buyers to see the birds.

No one steps foot in my brooder house or coop ever. Too many birds to risk anything coming in. I also have outside shoes for the yard. Tall rubber boots for wet weather, low rubber shoes for day to day. I never wear these shoes in the front yard or off property. I also don't walk outback in my shoes I wear out in public.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:This is exactly what we do, also. Any birds for sale are put into dog crates for the potential buyer to see. NOBODY goes into our coop area, except for our state tester during our NPIP testing and then she wears disposable booties. You can buy the booties through livestock suppliers if you want to provide them to visitors.

7. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Thank you all! The dog crates are an excellent idea, and I have plenty of those. Aside from biosecurity issues, I wasn't comfortable with the idea of strangers walking around on my property. Call me paranoid, but I am the daughter of a policeman [​IMG] Heck, even my Akita kennels are padlocked when they are out in the kennels but we are not home [​IMG] so no, definitely don't want complete strangers wandering here!!

Now, we'll see if I actually bite the bullet and try to sell some. Not sure I can do it, I tend to get attached to my critters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by