Selling chicks, best way to run it, and get the word out?

What breeds are you selling?
Really any breeds. I want to make a Facebook page about it, and just kinda ask the community what they want and go form there. I will do the same thing with species too. If they want ducks, I will do ducks, or chickens, or turkeys, etc. They need to know I exist first though!

Really any breeds. I want to make a Facebook page about it, and just kinda ask the community what they want and go form there. I will do the same thing with species too. If they want ducks, I will do ducks, or chickens, or turkeys, etc. They need to know I exist first though!
On Facebook, there’s somebody who sells a BUNCH of quail, eggs, and chicks called Fat Hen Farms, but I have no idea how they started being able to do that.

If you're gonna breed, breed with a purpose in mind. They don't have to be purebred, but you need to have a goal or something other than "barnyard mix". I don't care if it's a certain egg shade, or sexlinks, or a certain number of eggs per day something but pick something to work towards as a marketing point and use that to guide your breeding program.

Be prepared to have a LOT of extras that need to be removed. Have a plan. Our plan is to eat the extras. How many extras can you handle raising out? What about when they start to crow? What about that "favorite" girl that is just garbage for your needs?

You should also take a short look at local laws. I know in my state selling less than 6 fowl chicks at a time under 4 weeks is illegal. Shipping across state lines requires NPIP. I don't care if you're under the table - chances are good you're not making enough to matter - but make sure you're following health/safety/care and keeping regulations. Those are there for a reason.

I think I will post on Craigslist, Facebook, BYC, fliers, and make a website. Do you think that will get enough attention?
I'm a part of a couple local FB pages and lots of folks sell their hatches there and pretty quickly. Best to get a head start maybe in February so you can extend your season and so people have a chance to spread the word about your business. Setting up your own FB page and asking folks to engage by posting pics of their chicks from you would be good advertisement as well.

If you're gonna breed, breed with a purpose in mind. They don't have to be purebred, but you need to have a goal or something other than "barnyard mix". I don't care if it's a certain egg shade, or sexlinks, or a certain number of eggs per day something but pick something to work towards as a marketing point and use that to guide your breeding program.
I think I will use some eggs from my flock and sell them as mixed breeds. I will have to buy some eggs form other people though if I want pure breeds. I only pure breed I will have is RIR, and I would have to watch the RIR lay the egg to know that that was a RIR.

You should also take a short look at local laws. I know in my state selling less than 6 fowl chicks at a time under 4 weeks is illegal. Shipping across state lines requires NPIP. I don't care if you're under the table - chances are good you're not making enough to matter - but make sure you're following health/safety/care and keeping regulations. Those are there for a reason.
I did research. It looked to me, like it was legal as long as you aren't selling them to TSC, or making a huge business out of it. I wont do it forever. I would be surprised if I did of more then 1 summer.

Back
Top Bottom