Selling Duck Eggs

weebles&wobblesmom

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
I want to start selling my Pekin duck eggs, but I'm not sure how much to ask for them. I haven't seen anyone around my area selling duck eggs, just chicken. I don't want to over charge for them.
If anyone sells and wouldn't mind telling me what you sell them for, that would give me an idea what to charge.

Also, I am assuming that they are like chicken eggs and stay "fresh" for about a month? (maybe I have that wrong). I have done the float test on some of my eggs that were older than a month and they didn't even turn.

Right now I only get 1 duck egg a day cause I only have 1 female, so IF I sell them now, I want to make sure they're still fresh after 12 days (long enough to get a dozen).

Thanks

Around here ducks eggs run about $6-$8 a dozen ($8 is typical for folks who are certified organic).
There are a lot fewer farmers at the market who have duck eggs vs. chicken eggs which run $3-$4 a dozen. Most farmers here don't try to sell eggs though, since so many people have ducks/chickens. The market is pretty flooded in my area.

I sell them local for eatind 6 a dozen

Around here ducks eggs run about $6-$8 a dozen ($8 is typical for folks who are certified organic).
There are a lot fewer farmers at the market who have duck eggs vs. chicken eggs which run $3-$4 a dozen. Most farmers here don't try to sell eggs though, since so many people have ducks/chickens. The market is pretty flooded in my area.

My husband had said about $6 a dozen. Right now I am selling my chicken eggs for $2.50. I am going to get registered with the State of Illinois so I can sell at farmers markets and I think people will feel better about buying eggs if they know they're being cared for under USDA/FDA laws.

Around us, there are a couple of people who sell chicken eggs but haven't seen duck.

Thanks for your reply.

Just for feed costs, my duck eggs cost $2.50 a dozen. That includes nothing for all the months I fed them before they started to lay, or the months that they take off in the winter.

I suspect real cost to produce duck eggs is closer to $6 a dozen. So if you can't get a good price for them don't sell duck eggs. Reduce your flock until you can use all the eggs yourself.

Incidentally, I get feed from the mill, so my feed costs are less than what many of you are paying.

Remember, if a duck lays an egg every single day, you are only getting 2 1/2 dozen eggs a month from her. None of them lay an egg every day of their entire lives. You must pay to raise them up to the age of laying and you will have to feed them over the winter every year. You also have to pay for the feed that your drakes are eating.

People who are allergic to chicken eggs are willing to pay high for duck eggs.

Around here it depends on where you live, in Seattle $6-$7 a dozen is not uncommon. Out where we live it is tough to get $2.50 because there are so many people that have chickens and ducks.

And, of course, certified organic brings a higher price.

I'd have to charge $4 a dozen just to pay for the monthly Flockraiser.

Last edited:
I agree with Oregon Blues (often). I am not sure that selling duck eggs is a profitable endeavor. I am a professional baker, and prefer duck eggs for baking. I also use a lot of duck eggs, and prefer fresh, local food. I raise my own ducks to support my habit, and not have to drive to market twice a week. I also like being out there with them, and there is something relaxing in the routine of their care.

I think, if selling is a goal, being able to do so at farmers markets is a good bet. Your eggs will likely have to cost a bit more, to cover the certification process, but at markets I think people are more willing to pay a higher price.

Another good avenue you may want to try - bakeries & restaurants.
With an ever growing portion of the population asking where their food comes from more restaurants are looking for locally sourced products (FINALLY!!!!!). I know many chefs, bakers & restauranteurs who would be thrilled to have farm fresh eggs come to them. So few of us get to leave the kitchen for anything. The farmers who come to us are kept pretty busy with deliveries once they prove reliable.
If you decide to go this route a word of advice - chefs say no to everything during busy times. I would go between the hours of 1 & 3:30 or early - 10 am, to contact them. I would adhere to those hours with phone calls, too. We remember the person who shows up during a lunch or dinner rush (6-9pm usually), and not fondly. Email is good, but I would do an in person visit regardless of whether or not you get a response.

Last edited:
I'm up in east Texas but if you cant find any local duck eggs, let me know I make ocasionals trips to the Austin belton area.

Back
Top Bottom