selling ducklings and breeding questions

If you want to get into this business you are going to have to deal with weak ducklings not making it/drakes being sold for meat. That is just the way it is
i get having to deal with weak ducklings, and i can manage that (i foster animals and last year i spent a long time trying to keep a duckling alive) but drakes definitely do not need to be eaten. i have 3 adult boys and they are easily some of my friendliest ducks ever

Once a duckling leaves you hands, you have no right to decide how it will be used. If you don't want to help people feed their families, then don't sell drakes to them. Sex them and sell only the females. It is very unlikely that campbell females will be eaten, since they are excellent layers.

Ducks lay many eggs and there isn't enough room in the world for them to all have good lives. Nearly all of them have to die an early death.

Take your typical songbird for example. A pair of songbirds will set two clutches of 5 eggs each. 10 chicks. 9 of them will die before their 1st birthday. One of the parents will die that year too. The result? One parent survives, one child survives. The year started with two birds, and ends with two birds. That is how the population stays stable.

Every time you rescue a wild animal, another wild has to die from starvation. That's just how life works. With domestic animals, it is a bit different, for example you have a friend who can take drakes.... for now. At some point you're going to saturate that outlet. Then what? Now you have to stop hatching.

It occured to me that you might consider breeding ducks that would allow you to color sex the ducklings. Vent sexing is not the easiest thing to learn if you don't have someone to show you how but you can select your breeders to allow you to sex ducklings based on down color. Males that carry the chocolate gene bred to females of any other color except white should allow you to color sex the offspring.

You would still need to find a way to home the males but now you will know, with certainty, how many you have.

I'm not sure you could really make people only use them as pets or for eggs and not meat but here's an example of what you could do on like facebook or craigslist.
1590459722038.png

Once a duckling leaves you hands, you have no right to decide how it will be used. If you don't want to help people feed their families, then don't sell drakes to them. Sex them and sell only the females. It is very unlikely that campbell females will be eaten, since they are excellent layers.

Ducks lay many eggs and there isn't enough room in the world for them to all have good lives. Nearly all of them have to die an early death.

Take your typical songbird for example. A pair of songbirds will set two clutches of 5 eggs each. 10 chicks. 9 of them will die before their 1st birthday. One of the parents will die that year too. The result? One parent survives, one child survives. The year started with two birds, and ends with two birds. That is how the population stays stable.

Every time you rescue a wild animal, another wild has to die from starvation. That's just how life works. With domestic animals, it is a bit different, for example you have a friend who can take drakes.... for now. At some point you're going to saturate that outlet. Then what? Now you have to stop hatching.
if i find a good home for the ducklings, then yes i do get to decide if they get eaten. i know some people eat their ducks, but ALL of my ducks and their babies will definitely get great lives.

i
I'm not sure you could really make people only use them as pets or for eggs and not meat but here's an example of what you could do on like facebook or craigslist.
View attachment 2159815
i am honestly thinking of having people answer some questions before they get the ducks. for example what they’ll feed, where they’ll keep them, and what they’ll do if they can’t keep the males. i’ll also offer to take back any ducks that cannot be cared for anymore. it’ll definitely take more time to find homes but they’ll get much better homes. also i’m trying to convince my parents to get call ducks, would a pair work (1 male, 1 female) and would those be good to hatch?

i

i am honestly thinking of having people answer some questions before they get the ducks. for example what they’ll feed, where they’ll keep them, and what they’ll do if they can’t keep the males. i’ll also offer to take back any ducks that cannot be cared for anymore. it’ll definitely take more time to find homes but they’ll get much better homes. also i’m trying to convince my parents to get call ducks, would a pair work (1 male, 1 female) and would those be good to hatch?
I am not trying to be rude but what everyone is saying is that they are not your ducks once people hand over the money, they can do whatever they want with them. There is no way of assuring they will not use them for meat. like this article says: Almost all types of people like Khaki Campbell duck’s meat and eggs throughout the world- https://www.roysfarm.com/raising-khaki-campbell-ducks/
Even if they are friendly ducklings some people will not care. I am not saying don't find them good homes but once they leave you have no control over what they do with the ducklings. Also where would you get a pair of call ducks? I don't think you can order only 2 from a hatchery. The male might wear the female out so you will have to keep an eye on them

I am not trying to be rude but what everyone is saying is that they are not your ducks once people hand over the money, they can do whatever they want with them. There is no way of assuring they will not use them for meat. like this article says: Almost all types of people like Khaki Campbell duck’s meat and eggs throughout the world- https://www.roysfarm.com/raising-khaki-campbell-ducks/
Even if they are friendly ducklings some people will not care. I am not saying don't find them good homes but once they leave you have no control over what they do with the ducklings. Also where would you get a pair of call ducks? I don't think you can order only 2 from a hatchery. The male might wear the female out so you will have to keep an eye on them
as long as i make sure they are going to people who do not eat their ducks (if they have ate their ducks/chickens before i won’t sell to them) the i think it will be fine. even if i end up having to keep one or two boys. and i know someone around here who sells them (the girl will spend most of her time with my other female though)

i

I think that's a good idea. Though you can't make people choose what their going to do with them you can certainly direct them to a people that are looking for pet ducks or just good egg layers.

About the call ducks, I think you would need a few more females just to be sure the drake isn't too much for her y'know.

Back
Top Bottom