Selling eating eggs. What prices do you charge?

I can make my own labels and buy plain cartons with no wording on them at all. To offer a rebate if they bring one of my cartons back to be filled almost guarantees returning customers.

That is a great idea.

I planned on making up flyers to advertise. I have to get a refrigerator just to keep them in because there will be alot with 50 hens.

The cartons with my labels will look better than other companies cartons. Some people may not like used cartons by somebody they don't know. Some people are really particular about where their food comes from and what in. So, I had better start buying cartons and making labels to be ready.

These days I can't just go out and buy 200 cartons and labels to go on then. I have to collect or save.

Anybody know where to buy buld cartons?

I am selling mine for $3/dozen. It is less than the grocery stores. My DH saw blue eggs at one of the local "green" markets for $6/dozen. My friends are happy to pay for the yummy fresh eggs and more people want to get on my list. I have a couple of "non-egg eaters" and "I seldom eat eggs" people decide that they really like my eggs.

I want to get some green and blue eggs. They are on my list of hens to buy. or eggs to hatch. either one. That will up my sales in the future. I recon around easter time would be a big seller. No mesy dying of the eggs. Just decorate.

A buck fifty per dozen.

When feed was high a year ago I was at $2.00/dozen but I have since found a cheaper feed mill and started monitoring and measuring the feed.

Quote:
Shoot, can't remember where we bought ours. You can try eggcartons.com. Ours are plain greyish-brown biodegradable paper. We print off our own labels with our farm logo on our printer, then attach with a glue stick. We write a "best before" date one month from the pack date on the side. Our customers, being pretty environmentally conscious, actually love the fact that they are re-used cartons. They can tell how many times a carton has been used by the number of crossed-out dates on the side. That's why we only accept clean cartons for return. Biodegradable also means that I can compost any dirty, torn, or no longer usable cartons. I can also start seeds in them.

We also wash our eggs with hot unscented detergent water and dip in a hot dilute bleach solution. I know that many people here don't wash eggs, and that's a personal choice. Although I know that an unwashed egg might last longer, I also know that for my customers, and for liability's sake, washing and sanitizing is the way to go. My customers would be a little grossed out by unwashed eggs, and it's not like they're gonna hatch them. They'll eat them in 1-2 weeks and be back for more.

The farmers markets here, sell out at $3.00 to $5.00 a dozen. I paid $14.00 for starter feed, Think layen pellets around $12.00. A fellow in a truck on the side of the road was selling them for $3.00 and sold out in a couple of hour. Says he has 50 hens gets 45 eggs a day.
D.gif

If you want to make money selling eggs, you are going to have to figure out how much you're spending. Don't forget to add the addition to your water bill, the addition to your electrical bill if you have lights, feed, equipment, housing, fencing and medication. Don't forget to "charge" yourself for any eggs you eat, give away, or feed back to the hens. Get receipts for any donations of eggs to charity. Figure out how much your eggs are costing you over the whole year. I've seen a tracking spreadsheet on these boards somewhere...

One of the biggest decisions you have to make is whether you are going to sell eggs to make money, or you're going to sell eggs to help with the feed bill/subsidize your chicken addiction. Depending on your goals, you'll go about this differently.

If you're going to sell eggs to make money, your accounting and taxes will also change. You may want to register as an LLC. If you want to start a business, keep every single receipt. Make an excruciatingly detailed budget and business plan, and go from there. Consider consulting an attorney.

Exactly how long are eggs good for anyway? I've had them for 2 months before. but for selling it would be different and i didn't know you could dip them in a bleach solution. I always wash mine. it is just nasty to think of where they came form and when you crack one open it osmetimes runs down the side. Taht is just nasty I think.

Back
Top Bottom