Selling eggs for consumption in Florida?

This is so sad! Just another way to try and make us dependent on the government! So I guess it will be :

"Free Dozen Eggs with the purchase of an egg carton"

Simply REQUIREs the purchase of a carton to get the 'bonus' free eggs.

Anyone have an update for 2016? I've heard you can sell eggs from your farm gate without so much hassle? Is this true?? What's the buzz?? Won't be overrun till August / September so I have time just want to start the process and know what's up! :) Thanks y'all!!

Last edited:
Unless what you head is something in the works at the Florida House of Representatives there is nothing new on the Florida Agriculture website.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/23982/486665/SellFarmFreshEggs.pdf

For sales under $15 K. (I just love that, no provision for back yards) there is an inspection and permit fee of $130 annually. You MUST wash and sanitize your eggs and immediately refrigerate.

Yup, clean off all the natural protection on the egg and it has to be refrigerated or will spoil. Don't clean it off and your eggs are good on the kitchen shelf for over a month. Clearly we need protection from ourselves.

Wow sooo selling them is a PITA. I thought someone mentioned you cou do sell them from your gate w/o permit? Or the washing requirement? Also I have to have a seperate room and 2 sinks one with 3 compartments??

What funny is I can sell slaughtered birds easier than eggs?? Cause I wasn't planning on a refrigerated truck lol! But I know people here sell from the property with signs on the gate etc?

A friend of mine sells goat milk. What she does is sell a share of a goat to her customers so the customers actually own part of the goat and part of the milk that comes from the goat. I think it's $10 for a share of the goat. Then you can pay $2.50 for each half gallon to help cover feed costs of your goat. Probably no more legal then selling the egg carton with free eggs included.

The washing facility can be your kitchen sink. It needs to be a separate building from the coop is all. You've got hot and cold water and a sink and a refrigerator right in your kitchen and I'd hope it's not a dirt floor. So all requirements are met for that.

The part that is dumb is you MUST wash them at all. The other inconvenience is the permit. That in itself is not all that uncommon. What's absurd is the "small farm" cap is 15 thousand a year in sales. So even a person with an extra dozen or so of eggs to sell from their back yard flock should have a permit and fee of $130 per year. People should lobby their congressperson to make a back yard egg sales provision to the law. Good lobby and you'd have an exemption cap. So so lobby effort and you'd at least lower the annual permit fee. What a "back yard" provision for gross sales of less than 5K annual?

Think about that for a moment. If you could actually get $4 per dozen that would mean you'd have to sell more than 24 dozen eggs a week to be over a new "Back yard" provision. 5K annual is still too large a number. $1500 is a better mark for exemption. That would be anyone selling 7 dozen or less per week (if sold at $4 per dozen even) is exempt from permit process and washing. It would make more sense to have the cap at average sales of 10 dozen per week is exempt. As that takes the monetary part out of the equation and allows people in congress to actually think about what amount their talking about when voting on a bill. It suddenly becomes "clear" to them. Oh! We're just talking about people with a few extra eggs selling to friends. Oh, ok, yeah, they shoudn't need to deal with permits. Still must label eggs for location though. That's common sense. If ever a problem the source of contamination is quickly found. All foods sold must have a physical address of origin.

How paranoid and uneducated lawmakers are they'd probably say your eggs need clear labeling of: Unwashed- May contain poop and foreign matter

That way, in their uneducated way they can educate the consumer of the risks of your product;)

I started to come up with a bunch of absurd labels and thought better of posting them...

Last edited:
How paranoid and uneducated lawmakers are they'd probably say your eggs need clear labeling of: Unwashed- May contain poop and foreign matter

That way, in their uneducated way they can educate the consumer of the risks of your product;)

I started to come up with a bunch of absurd labels and thought better of posting them...
lau.gif
Always with the disclaimers!!!

Back
Top Bottom