selling eggs for consumption

Here is South Jersey there are a number of folks selling eggs. Around the corner they sell them for $1/dz but there are never any eggs there - early in the morning, mid day or afternoon. Eitehr they sell out that quick or they just don't have any.

Another location is selling them for $2/dz.

I am still waiting for my eggs - darn chickens are now almost 19 wks old and nothing.
barnie.gif
I just want to go out there and squeeze them and pop one out.

Quote:
They are just waiting till you quit looking for their presents to leave them!1

I sell for 1.75 here in central Kansas. Some people sell for a dollar some for 1.25. I'm sure some are selling for more but my customers are divided. Some say sell for 2.00 or 2.50 but some complain at 1.75.. So- I set the price at 1.75 and I don't waver( winter or summer or price in the store.)

There is also something to be said against selling too cheap. When stuff is too cheap, people dont value it.
Remember, it takes the same effort to sell Chevy's as it does Cadillacs....

Last edited:
Anywhere from free to $6.00/dozen. You just gotta hope that people close to you don't give them away!

Rachel
Bellecreek Farm

Quote:
Keystone Heights? I used to live in Orange Park.

I like the Excel sheet, although some may find it a bit much. I feel it is, myself, as Im not an Excel wiz. It does appear to track several cost factors around egg production costs, however. Im glad you brought it to our attention.

But, this is why I didn't say anything like this until until now. Most people who ask the "How Much" question, arent really looking for such things. They normally just want a cozy round number to bounce around.

Wow really !!! i used to live in orange park too !!! what part are you from ?? ..

and to stick to the topic: as soon as my girls start laying im going to go into the whole math equation etc and see what it costs to produce the eggs and then sell them for a little for for random things like .. more chicks !!! new, repairs, addition to coop that kind of stuff but wont know till they begin to lay
idunno.gif

I figured out my cost to produce the eggs, looked into what other people sell them for (checked out craigslist) and came up with $3 a dozen (the going rate in my area for fresh eggs) or $2.50 per dozen if they buy at least 2 dozen. Our local farmer's market sells them for $4.50-$5 per dozen.

Feed is pretty expensive here. It's $16.99 for 50 lbs of laying feed.

Edited for typos & clarity:

Last edited:
Quote:
There you go in a nutshell.

I should have said earlier that you don't have to go face to face, asking people what they'll give. You CAN, and there is a benefit in doing so: you will likely create an immediate market, providing you sell the 'fresh, natural and wholesome' angle, instead of just selling eggs.
That's "selling the sizzle, not the steak."

But you can research vicariously as ADC has done, to learn what they ARE giving.

---------------------------------------------------------------

and btrent94, I lived off HWY17 below the OP/Jacksonville line. Kingsley AVE wasn't far from me. So what are you doing in AZ? .... thats a long way from FL (I used to live Phoenix zome years ago, myself.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh okay .. i used to spend summers at lake kingsley with alot of family and friends we always rented out one of the cabins on the lake
big_smile.png

and i moved to arizona because i lots my job, you know the recession, and was offered one out here and thats where i am now, it helped that i had lots of family out here too to help me till i got back on my feet and i took a trip out to wilcox ( little farm community) at my uncles farm he owns and the kids had a whole barn full of chickens and thats pretty much how i got into it
big_smile.png

Interesting, Davaroo, Thanks! My figure worked out to $2.02/dz

We sell at local farmers markets. We have staggered prices as follows:

Large Brown $2.50/dz
Med Brown $2.50/18 (not many of these - mostly the new pullet eggs)
XL-Jumbo $3.00/dz

Large EE $3.00/dz
Med EE $3.00/18 (again, mostly new pullet eggs)

Incredible the number of people who've never seen colored eggs from the EEs. Hooks them into coming to the booth everytime.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom