Selling eggs in Texas

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by DragonClaw01, Mar 28, 2015.

  1. DragonClaw01

    DragonClaw01 Chirping

    Sep 25, 2013
    I want to set up a little honor stand or just sell from home with a sign out front. Are there any laws I should be aware of? This is in a county outside city limits.

    What info should I put on the signs? I'm also setting up smaller signs to guide people so they can know in advance.
  2. ChickenMama79

    ChickenMama79 In the Brooder

    Aug 5, 2014
    I'd love to know the answer to this question, too! But I'm in a city (not outskirts) in Texas and I've had people ask about buying eggs. I'd also love input on how much to charge.
  3. iamwarner

    iamwarner Hatching

    Apr 1, 2015
    An Egg License is not required if you are selling eggs from your own hens to the end customer. A license as a dealer/wholesale is required if you will be selling graded eggs, selling to restaurants, or buying other producers' eggs for resale. Applications are available on our website at

    Under the exemption from licensing the eggs still must always be stored at 45 degrees or less. Egg cartons must be labeled with "Ungraded" followed by "Produced by (producer's name)" and bearing the producer's address in legible printed boldface type. The eggs must be sold directly to the consumer, not to a restaurant or for resale. A required Safe Handling Instructions statement must also be on the principal display panel, the information panel, or on the inside of the lid of egg cartons. The required statement is as follows:
    "SAFE HANDLING INSTRUCTIONS: To prevent illness from bacteria: keep eggs refrigerated, cook eggs until yolks are firm, and cook foods containing eggs thoroughly." If this statement appears on the inside of the lid, the words "Keep Refrigerated" must appear on the principal display panel or information panel. Contact the Department of State Health Services at 512-834-6626 to determine if any further licensing may be required by that department or a local health department.

    Use of language describing the eggs as "fresh," "yard," "selected," "hennery," "new-laid," "infertile," "cage," or with words that have similar meaning can only be used with graded eggs of a Grade A or better.

    The claim "organic" can be used only by a certified organic producer. For more information about organic certification, please contact Mary Ellen Holliman at 512-463-7513 for assistance.

    If licensed, you are required to submit reports. Reports are due by the 10th of the month following the end of each reporting period. If you buy or sell both graded and ungraded eggs, or if you are the first individual to assign a grade to the eggs, you must report monthly. A grading fee of $0.03 per 30-dozen case must be submitted to the Texas Department of Agriculture with the mailed monthly report. In-state licensees who only buy and sell already-graded eggs may report quarterly. Quarters run Sept-Nov, Dec-Feb, March-May, June-Aug. Since there will be no inspection fee due, quarterly reports can be forwarded by email or by fax.

    Information on how to grade eggs can be obtained from the Texas A&M Poultry Science Center at 979-845-4319.

    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me, or Kerry Cowlishaw, the program specialist for the egg program, at 512-463-7400.

    Best regards,

    Howard Pieper
    Coordinator for Fuel Quality and Egg Quality
    Consumer Product Protection Division,
    Texas Department of Agriculture
    Toll Free: 800-835-5832
    Voice: 512-463-6477
    Fax: 888-215-5386
    Office E-Mail: howard.pieper @
  4. ChickenMama79

    ChickenMama79 In the Brooder

    Aug 5, 2014
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by