Selling eggs in the uk

quailhaven

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Hi,
I have a small holding of quails and would like to sell them eggs to make a bit of money. I have about 20 female quails.

Am I able to just go ahead and start advertising my eggs for sale, or is there a law that I have to agree to something for food standard?
thanks

Hi. There is no need to register with defra unless you have 50 or more birds, including game birds. (Many think it only applies to chickens). Voluntary registration for less birds is encouraged, but I don't know anyone that does. Registration is about disease tracking and control and nothing to worry about. You must also register as an "egg producer" if you have 350 or more birds or if you intend to sell to shops or markets. Inspections may then be needed and I think you need to date stamp eggs.
If selling from home/farm gate/friends/work colleagues the only restrictions I am aware of are: you are not allowed to re-use egg boxes and you must not feed kitchen scraps to your birds.
All up to date info on registration etc can be found at the link below and I advise you to read through it all.
Contact defra for further info, if needed. They're friendly. 😁

Good husbandry and cleanliness should always be practiced especially when selling to the public.
Don't let any of that put you off. It shows you're responsible for asking the question. Good luck with your venture.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/poultry-including-game-birds-registration-rules-and-forms

Hi. There is no need to register with defra unless you have 50 or more birds, including game birds. (Many think it only applies to chickens). Voluntary registration for less birds is encouraged, but I don't know anyone that does. Registration is about disease tracking and control and nothing to worry about. You must also register as an "egg producer" if you have 350 or more birds or if you intend to sell to shops or markets. Inspections may then be needed and I think you need to date stamp eggs.
If selling from home/farm gate/friends/work colleagues the only restrictions I am aware of are: you are not allowed to re-use egg boxes and you must not feed kitchen scraps to your birds.
All up to date info on registration etc can be found at the link below and I advise you to read through it all.
Contact defra for further info, if needed. They're friendly. 😁

Good husbandry and cleanliness should always be practiced especially when selling to the public.
Don't let any of that put you off. It shows you're responsible for asking the question. Good luck with your venture.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/poultry-including-game-birds-registration-rules-and-forms

Thank you Steve! That's exactly what I needed to hear. I have been putting it off for so long because I wasn't sure if I was allowed. But this makes sense.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom