Selling eggs

Though I'm not that far from Spartan22, It's tough to get $2.25 a dozen here. Not sure why, when they are so much more at the stores. I live not to far from Meyer's and pay $10.49 for #50 of layer crumbles, but the drive to get it would raise that cost if added in. It's a nice ride though!!!

I plan on hitting a few farmer markets this summer and see what happen with a higher price.

Though I'm not that far from Spartan22, It's tough to get $2.25 a dozen here. Not sure why, when they are so much more at the stores.  I live not to far from Meyer's and pay $10.49 for #50 of layer crumbles, but the drive to get it would raise that cost if added in. It's a nice ride though!!!

I plan on hitting a few farmer markets this summer and see what happen with a higher price.

Perceptions about eggs and poultry, I believe has a lot to do with it. Supermarkets around us sell brown and/or organic eggs from 3.77-4.50 a doz. Big movement of healthy living affects that market on able to trust what they advertised (healthy claims). My work place of 200++ people, I know there are at least 6-7 that are chicken keepers and they sell theirs for $2.50/doz and there are couple more that just gives away their eggs.

I think we just got lucky or just accidentally hit the right market. We didn't intend to sell, but last late spring we hosted a cook out and some friends wanted to see our garden shed most didn't know we have chickens since the runs looks like a greenhouse and the front has vegetables & flowers. Gave some people a tour (so to speak), they were impressed when we told them we don't use meds, hormones & pesticide on our veg/ herb garden that we feed them and we don't wash our eggs and no refrigerations and they were not farm raise but backyard raised. Big difference we give each hens personal attentions tho they don't have names as pets.
We gained 6 weekly customers out of that and they told their friends, that all wanted some eggs too but we had to decline w/ the promise that they will have occasional overflow since we only get 6-8 doz weekly. We have 3 families on standby in case we have extras, therefore supply & demand pricing. Even though I pointed them to get eggs from some people I know that sell 2.50/doz. much lower than ours.
We ordered 15 more chicks to come this week, since we will be retiring our 21 month old next fall (they will be 27-28 months).
Sorry this got so long
1f61b.png

Last edited:
Well good for you. I can't promise to much yet with only 14 girls laying right now. Once the rest start though I will be pretty good on supplying a good amount per week.

I think also one of my problems is, with in a 3 mile radius, there are at least 4 other folks that advertise eggs for sale. I personally am not going to put a sign in my front yard for several reasons.

Once all the girls start laying my daughter has 8 dozen a week sold for me already. right now she sells 4 to 5 every other week. The odd week goes to family and bartering for straw and hay.

Nice! Send them my way I'll sell them for you, I require commissions from Ohioans, LOL
1f602.png
. Not sure if am over my head on this chicken thing. We haven't had vacation for a year now.

I was searching for info on selling eggs and I stumbled across this thread.

I know I'm coming a little late to this party, but I sell my eggs for $5 a dozen. I buy my conventional egg ration pellet for $10.20 (before tax) for 50#.

This year though, we are starting something different. We are pretty much starting a CSA-type egg share program for one price paid up front you get 1/4 of all the eggs our hens produce. Since it's new and I've never ran anything like this before the eggs are priced way below the five dollar price with the understanding that the price will go up next year once we have more experience doing something like this. I have a flock of only 19 hens of various breeds. We just sent out letters yesterday to our egg purchasers last year and we have already sold one share. We are going *hoping* to sell two more.

I didn't start out wanting to sell chicken eggs they were just going to be for our family, but last year more on a whim my wife took two dozen to work and sold them that day for $5 a dozen. Then we started to look for ways to make our operation for profit-centered. :)

I've punted on the idea that I would ever recoup the money for my coop (see what I did there) but now that we are moving to a new actual acreage in the country not just the burbs my next coop will be very much driven with the idea of how long will it take to make the money back from this coop. Something I didn't do when I built our current coop.

For what it's worth.

If I ever get eggs again let alone extra...I'll sell for $3 per dozen to friends. That's free range (1600 sqft of moved bi weekly electric netting). If people don't want fresh eggs they can pay less at the store or pay more at the store for "Organic" or free range that's not as fresh too. I'm not making people buy from me and honestly feel people who under sell do a disservice. Sure the cost of feed to dozen eggs is under $2 but you have to grow those birds out. They do molt. There is other expenses in care for the birds let alone some tiny, itsy bit of "profit". Hard to call it that as your caring for the birds for free. If a person was selling all the time and had free range $4 a dozen is more than fair.

$13 per 50 lbs bag of 20% protein feed, 0.85 per pound of oyster shell. Forget cost of bedding $6? per 3 cuft and near $5 a bale of mulch (first cut) hay.

Vermont- Lucky to be near a feed mill. Costs of feed outside of this mills circulation is $15-16 a bag. Was paying that when lived 50 miles from here.

Last edited:
I know I'm coming a little late to this party, but I sell my eggs for $5 a dozen. I buy my conventional egg ration pellet for $10.20 (before tax) for 50#.
It's unlawful to tax human food, medicine and livestock feed.

Basic necessities can't be taxed.

Last edited:
It's unlawful to tax human food, medicine and livestock feed.

Basic necessities can't be taxed.

That depends on where you live. I used to live in KS and everything was taxable. Here in FL you don't pay tax on food unless it's prepared food, than it is.

I live in NW Florida and I sell mine for $3.50 per dozen or $5 for a dozen and a half. I have 31 hens and I get between 18 and 28 eggs a day. I simply load up all my extras and take them to work with me. I also take them to the chiropractor's office, the doctor's office and elsewhere. There are always folks who want fresh eggs and I've never had any trouble selling them. The folks at my regular stops also return the cartons to me and I give them a small discount after they've done that a few times. Feed is expensive here - about $14 for a 50 pound bag of laying crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom