Selling fresh eggs, what do i need to know

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Mt Top Chick, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Mt Top Chick

Mt Top Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    Edgewood
    I want to start selling my fresh eggs, what do i need to know? Do i have to check with the town or county? Any information is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gina

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Hi There! [​IMG]
    As far as I know there aren't any rules to selling eggs .... but then again I don't live in the city. [​IMG]
    You can make a sign or something and stick it where people can see it. That might help. Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Every state has its own laws; there is also the USDA, but they are mainly interested in larger commercial operations and in all cases in proper labeling. I would recommend that yuo start by contacting your county extension office or State Dept of Agriculture.

4. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    In most cases selling from the "farmgate" is totally legal and all you need do is box up your eggs and sell. In my case we are allowed to sell our eggs from our farm/house but we cannot sell them at farmers markets without having them graded. I suspect you'll find this is the same in your area but to be safe call the town and ask.

5. txaggierancher

txaggierancher New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    Texas Rice Belt
    I've been doing a little research on this too, and from what I understand, in Texas you just have to mark them "ungraded" on the carton and write your name and address, and keep them at or below 45 degrees. Simple enough. This is if you sell eggs directly to the consumer from your own flock. No license required. Once there is a middleman involved things start to get complicated.

Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by