Selling Mallard Ducklings?

Theeggboxtoo

Songster
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Alabama
We have 2 mallards a boy and a girl, and we heard that they go broody a lot, so we have decided to sell the babies when she hatches them. Can we sell them if they have they're not marked in some way as domestic mallards?
Any help appreciated!

Nope. By law you are suppose to clip the hind toe on the right foot; tatoo the webbing of the foot; banded with seamless metal band, or pinioned. Clip the toe, it's easy when they are first hatched and they don't even feel it.

Granted, however, a LOT of folks don't bother with mallards. They don't realize it and don't think about it.

Last edited:
It is a pain, but please do this if you do sell the ducklings. That way the future owners don't have to worry about "proving" that their pet ducks weren't stolen from a wild nest.

I despaired upon finding my little ducklings were missing a toe, but after talking to some members here, I realized that if it means that they will always get to live here with me worry-free, than I think they'd opt for losing the toe. I certainly would.

The chances of you or your customers getting inspected are slim to none, but why take the chance?

I really don't think the DUCK POLICE will be knocking on your door.

Mutilating ducklings is against my principles. If they are domestic mallards and they have domestic ducklings, that's it. No problem.

And for the record, I had only one mallard go broody and she became one big knot. If you don not want them to go broody, collect the eggs as soon as they lay them and sell the eggs. If you let the hens "set", they will become broody stinkers. They do come out of it however, as soon as the eggs are gone. FWIW...

The easiest way to tattoo them would be to get one of the tattoo punches with the removable numbers.

You spread the tattoo ink where you want the tattoo and then pinch the area with the tool that looks a bit like a set of pliers. The tool has sharp pins that push the ink into the skin.

They are used on several different types of livestock: rabbits, pigs, dogs. In the ear, usually, but duck webbing is thin and would be easy to mark with the tool.

HA!!! Years ago we tattooed my Boer goats ears. My friend said are you ready, hold on tight!! They dragged us round the yard once she clamped the thing on theri ears but we got the job done. We didnt have the goat stand at the time so it was a case of hang on for dear life, you only get once chance!

Back
Top Bottom