Selling quail eggs for consumption?

Palmer5

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Southwestern PA
Do any of you sell quail eggs for human consumption?

If so where do you sell them? Farmers Markets, Co-Op, your house, Craigs List, the Internet ect???

I'm into the slow food movement and have plans to sell quail eggs at a farmers market and possibly a co-op that is opening up soon. I checked the Laws in my area and am covered from a legal stand point. I am hoping to get feed back from a few of you guys that may already be doing this. My goal is to make enough money to cover the cost of the quail as well as the cost of raising the meat chickens I raise for our family(basically support my poultry habit). I am building my flock of quail. My goal for now is to have 100 hens laying at all times. The fresh eggs I can't sell I plan on pickleing and canning.

I look forward to any and all feedback.

Legally it would be good if you were NPIP certified and had some kind of insurance for when someone gets sick and sues you, it does not hurt to check with your city/county know their rules and regs and also check with you state ag dept/veterinarian a lot of times there are more regs then most want to comply with. I sell "hatching eggs" if folks choose to eat them that is their problem right on the label it declares them to be hatching eggs. I am sure some may eat them , some may even hatch them LOL but I think most when they sell a plate of food they put a hard boiled quail egg or two on the plate with the food.

Here we can not sell eggs for human consumption unless we are "licensed". To get around that, we sell them as hatching eggs, just tell people there is nothing wrong with the eggs, you just have to sell them that way
smile.png

I live close to an army base. I sell eating eggs to soldiers that come to train from asia & south america. live quail?? hard to sell many. dressed & vacuum sealed & frozen = sells great! hatching eggs ? Not many people want quality birds & even less wants to pay for them.....Legality? in Ga. you can sell 30 doz. a week OFF THE FARM a week. If you take the away yourself must get a licence.

Back
Top Bottom