Selling turkeys

Tiger Shark

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2019
I have 7 broad breasted turkeys and I live in Florida. I’m looking to sell 5 by for thanksgiving. They are around 16 weeks old. I have a few questions. Do people usually buy them already processed or no? How much should I sell per pound? Where do I sell them and how do I advertise? Thanks!

I would suggest checking out your laws for selling poultry.

Most buy them already processed.

How much to sell? How much did it take you to grow them? Add 10 -1000%

Where to sell them? Friends and neighbors for a start. People less likely to seek damages if they get sick from you turkey's.

You'll need to check around for the laws of your state. In Ohio we can't sell unless they're processed at a USDA facility or they are picked up from the farm. A non inspected facility will label them as "not for sale".

It's late to get the word out for Thanksgiving turkeys. Most potential buyers want them already processed and the weight listed so that they know how long to cook for. You'll need to find local ways to advertise through social media or listing sites.

Price has to do with the local market for similarly raised birds. For our area, pasture raised non GMO turkey is usually $7/lb. Regular turkey without "special" feed is anywhere from $3-$5lb. Then there's the grocery birds that will be advertised at the stores for $0.99/lb. Processing through an inspected facility is an average of $15/bird.

We only raise a couple a year for friends/family and they need to tell me in March so that I know how many to keep since they're slow growing Heritage turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom