Semi broody hen or egg bound?

lucy12132

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2022
I have a 9 month old isa brown that I've noticed will go and sit in the nesting box a couple times a day but doesn't lay an egg. I will usually see her come out after awhile and scratch around and put things on her back. Not sure if she's going broody? She was a little unwell with a slow/sour crop that has been resolved so maybe that's a possible cause?

I also have a rhode island red that is currently broody that I haven't been able to break. She's been broody about a week now, stays in the other nest box all day and night even though there are never eggs in there. She will come out to eat and drink a couple time I'm the day or when I put her put.

I also have a rhode island red that is currently broody that I haven't been able to break. She's been broody about a week now, stays in the other nest box all day and night even though there are never eggs in there. She will come out to eat and drink a couple time I'm the day or when I put her put.
You want to break her but I don't see where you're doing anything to actively break her - a breaker cage is your best bet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/

With the other bird, my guess is her general health isn't good enough to allow her to lay, if she's been having crop issues, Eggbinding is quickly fatal so you would know if that was the cause.

Putting things on her back isn't indicative of anything. Normal layers will do that, it may be some sort of residual desire to camouflage themselves.

You want to break her but I don't see where you're doing anything to actively break her - a breaker cage is your best bet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/

With the other bird, my guess is her general health isn't good enough to allow her to lay, if she's been having crop issues, Eggbinding is quickly fatal so you would know if that was the cause.

Putting things on her back isn't indicative of anything. Normal layers will do that, it may be some sort of residual desire to camouflage themselves.
My broody one I've been making sure there aren't any eggs for her to sit on and try to keep her out of the nest as much as I can. I put her up to roost with the others when it gets dark too. I really wanted to avoid the cage but if it's necessary I'll do it. Is there any chance she'll break on her own?

My broody one I've been making sure there aren't any eggs for her to sit on and try to keep her out of the nest as much as I can. I put her up to roost with the others when it gets dark too.I really wanted to avoid the cage but if it's necessary I'll do it. Is there any chance she'll break on her own?
Maybe, but it will take much longer with your method.

My broody one I've been making sure there aren't any eggs for her to sit on and try to keep her out of the nest as much as I can. I put her up to roost with the others when it gets dark too. I really wanted to avoid the cage but if it's necessary I'll do it. Is there any chance she'll break on her own?
Broodies will sit in empty nests, so removing eggs is not a deterrent.

Removing her or putting her on the roost mostly just annoys them, and they'll go back to the nest as soon as they can.

She may break on her own but you're really extending this out unnecessarily when a broody breaker (when employed immediately) can break them in roughly 48 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom