Semi set up chicken fencing just now.

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
You see, "I" viewed the videos and read instructions. Have strongly encouraged mister to do the same. He wants to have each end of the fence at two different ends of the hoop coop. :idunno Seems to me that would be a problem as far as electrifying is concerned. I told him "The MANUfacturer shows the fence meeting at the ends (rolling my eyes real hard).

He wants to take the end (see photo) and leeean it up against the coop on two different ends. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image000005(4).jpg
    image000005(4).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 8
Here are pics of the preliminary fence placement.
Hubby, has consistently stated about all the grub they will get once they free range. Helloooo, every single photo I see of chickens free ranging involves green stuff called grass. Am I missing something, yaw'll? He keeps telling me there are plenty of bugs and such that the chickens will find as they scratch. He also says the trees are good because aerial preditors can not see them and won't dive into trees to get at them (is this true)?

I am going to post some pics of my pretty lil silkies and bieles and neiderrs in coop in another thread.

Attachments

• image000001(8).jpg
    image000001(8).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image000000(19).jpg
    image000000(19).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 2
my chickens range in a 3600sqft wooded yard where there is no grass and they seem to like it just fine.
WOW, really? Well, that is good to know. Meanwhile I am learning about permaculture stuff and plan on growing comfrey, chickweed, and other cover crops as soon as we can. I also read something about sweet potatoes is a hardy plant to grow that the chickens will love. Feel I am behind the eight ball with the gardening portion of chicken care and self sustainability. But, every journey begins with one step, you eat an elephant one bite at a time and all that jazz.

This looks similar to my mom's setup-tall pines and no grass. Her birds live long happy lives. Netting over the top is necessary though. Hawks will swoop out of a pine tree just fine to scoop up lunch. How tall is the fencing? Sorry if I missed that in your original post but from the photos it doesn't look high enough to keep adventurous chickens from flying out. My Leghorns would get out of anything without netting over the top.

In re: the first question, manufacturers may vary, but I have Premier 1 netting and it can be set up either in a circle with the ends meeting OR with the ends up again different ends of a solid wall -- my current configuration.

Wild jungle fowl in their native environment are creatures of the forest floor. Your chickens would love having forest floor to forage through (though some green stuff doesn't hurt -- weeds being better than grass).

This looks similar to my mom's setup-tall pines and no grass. Her birds live long happy lives. Netting over the top is necessary though. Hawks will swoop out of a pine tree just fine to scoop up lunch. How tall is the fencing? Sorry if I missed that in your original post but from the photos it doesn't look high enough to keep adventurous chickens from flying out. My Leghorns would get out of anything without netting over the top.
48" and I told hubby they will fly out, ugghhhhh.

Back
Top Bottom