Semi set up chicken fencing just now.

In re: the first question, manufacturers may vary, but I have Premier 1 netting and it can be set up either in a circle with the ends meeting OR with the ends up again different ends of a solid wall -- my current configuration.

Wild jungle fowl in their native environment are creatures of the forest floor. Your chickens would love having forest floor to forage through (though some green stuff doesn't hurt -- weeds being better than grass).
It is Premiere 1.

It is Premiere 1.

Then you can set it up either in a circle or in a line. :)

48" and I told hubby they will fly out, ugghhhhh.

Mine don't, mostly.

Except for Point-of-Lay pullets, who seem to get restless and prone to wander as the hormonal storms hit them.

The reason netting works is that *most* chickens don't like to fly up and over an obstacle. Their instinct is to fly up ONTO the top of something and then jump down.

:)

I have 2 ft garden fencing around my kale & carrot patch to protect it from the girls when they range there. Only once has someone flew in…DH came out the back door quickly and she got startled.

I wouldn’t trust it to hold them all day…but they only go in the garden under my supervision so an hour here or there, and surprisingly it has worked (mostly!) The kale is safe!

I did leave a few spent plantings around for them to eat/pick at, and with the weeds and sunflower seeds that fell under the leaves, they have plenty to keep them busy and out of MY food. 😂

I have 2 ft garden fencing around my kale & carrot patch to protect it from the girls when they range there. Only once has someone flew in…DH came out the back door quickly and she got startled.

I wouldn’t trust it to hold them all day…but they only go in the garden under my supervision so an hour here or there, and surprisingly it has worked (mostly!) The kale is safe!

I did leave a few spent plantings around for them to eat/pick at, and with the weeds and sunflower seeds that fell under the leaves, they have plenty to keep them busy and out of MY food. 😂
Uww, that reminds me when we actually move onto Hip Hillbilly Acres I need to plant sunflowers for my Bubble Bunch (my name for the flock). I would like the kind with big Ole dinner plate sized flowers, if possible.

The rest of the photos I took yesterday showing our new Premiere 1 chicken fencing finally showed up in my email.

Attachments

• image000001(10).jpg
    image000001(10).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image000000(21).jpg
    image000000(21).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 5
Then you can set it up either in a circle or in a line. :)

Mine don't, mostly.

Except for Point-of-Lay pullets, who seem to get restless and prone to wander as the hormonal storms hit them.

The reason netting works is that *most* chickens don't like to fly up and over an obstacle. Their instinct is to fly up ONTO the top of something and then jump down.

:)
:goodpost:

@Hip Hillbilly Farm, I have the same set up as @3KillerBs - my fence is only 42" and mostly nobody bothers flying over it. Once they have learned it is electric they steer clear of it entirely.
Mine is not a circle - it ends on each side of the coop. Remember it cannot be grounded at the ends so leaning it up against the coop won't be so great - just stick the support in really close to the wall of the coop but not touching.

:goodpost:

@Hip Hillbilly Farm, I have the same set up as @3KillerBs - my fence is only 42" and mostly nobody bothers flying over it. Once they have learned it is electric they steer clear of it entirely.
Mine is not a circle - it ends on each side of the coop. Remember it cannot be grounded at the ends so leaning it up against the coop won't be so great - just stick the support in really close to the wall of the coop but not touching.
I'm telling Mister what you have stated. Thanks a heapa bunch. This chicken stuff (and yaw'll) are so fun.

xoxoxo

stretching the fence to be a bit taut

Yes, poultry netting should be as tight as you can make it so that birds, etc. don't become entangled in loose netting.

This is a continual chore. I do it every week or two -- picking up posts, stretching out the netting, and replanting them so that everything is tight.

You'll probably find yourself picking up extra posts to help with saggy spots, depending on your terrain.

Back
Top Bottom